meds adjusted

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by carter001, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carter001

carter001 Active Member

Hi everyone,

So I saw the doctor today and she put me back on the anti psychotic(solian)I feel better but I didn't tell her I was having suicidal thoughts for fear she will put me in the psychiatric ward again.

Right now I don't really feel safe but the clinic I go to isn't open,it's 22:30 where I live,so the nurses have gone home from work.I tried calling A n E but I keep getting an engaged tone.

I hope I can sleep because I haven't been sleeping well for a few days plus my heart is pounding all the time.
  2. SuperMoon

SuperMoon Active Member

Good to hear you are feeling better. Do you keep a journal to document the changes/differences in moods/thoughts/physical effects?
    Perhaps trying to get some sort of hold on your side effects for now (even if it's just writing them down) can alleviate your feelings of unsafety.
    Keep trying to call or if you can, can you visit a funny website to "distract" you?
    When will you see you doctor next?
    Can you call and not be specific a/b your concerns so she won't put you in a psych ward again??
    Do you think you need to stop these meds b/c of the suicidal thoughts??
  3. carter001

carter001 Active Member

Thanks SuperMoon
    I do keep a thought diary of my mood and any changes I'm feeling
    I won't see the doctor for another week or so but if I tell the nurses I'm feeling suicidal they will probably get me to see her sooner.

I just hate the psychiatric ward and I'll do anything(lie especially)just to stay out of it,I know that sounds childish but I've had very bad experiences in the psychiatric ward.

Yeah I think it's because I was off a certain medication for a few days and that's what's making me feel suicidal.I'll have to give it a few more days on the medication and see if the suicidal thoughts go away.
  4. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

you can keep talking to us, or you can call a suicide hotline if you need to,

It's probably best to tell your doc the truth. If she wants to put you in a ward, you might be able to talk her out of that part, but it's important for doctors to have the correct info to make the correct prescriptions
  5. carter001

carter001 Active Member

Thanks may71,

I want to be honest with the doctor but I know as soon as I mention suicidal thoughts she'll put me in the hospital,she did in the past.Right now I feel lonely,like I have no one to talk too.My family have given up trying to help me.I want to die,it's better than living in pain.
  6. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

You can easily term how you feel so that it does not fall in line with something that would make the doctor (and another in the UK) sign you in to a psychiatric hospital.

For example, if you say you think you will kill yourself it is hard for them not to maybe get you signed into a place that will keep an eye on you for the duration of your episode. Some of these places are badly run in the UK - but if they are then you can expose them.

But if you say, you just feel like dying - but have no suicide plan lined up, they will not be able to do anything. Everyone feels like dying sometimes - or that many of us that its not even unusual.

It is all in how you term things to your doctor. Also, people get nervous when visiting a doctor. This makes it difficult to explain perhaps the most difficult thing to explain - your state of mind. It is best to write down what you need to say - as you will always forget things and miss out important stuff sometimes.

So, if you do not want to go to a psychiatric ward (and I would not also) then make sure you term things to the doc so that it is 'neutral' in that you are not saying you want to commit suicide, just feel like it sometimes.

You can always over emphasise anxiety and maybe guilt, tiredness - instead of saying "I want to die". Of course this is just to help you avoid something you think is not a help.

Ask for therapy or counselling instead. Maybe explain to your doc how you fear going into a psychiatric ward. There are crisis teams for people who sometimes feel suicidal but who are living in the community, keeping a home, but might be visited by the team when they feel they cannot cope.

After all the whole point of helping people would be to help them cope in the community they live in. That said there is a need for psychiatric hospitals - maybe they just need to ran better.

Good luck Carter - I hope these new meds settle in and I'd suggest just watching some TV series or carry on tidying your room.

Try to get exercise, some fresh air and sunshine can work wonders. I missed out today myself and feel worse for it.

Not sleeping is maybe worse than sleeping too much as at least the latter does recharge the batteries. Sleeping too little depends on how old you are and whether your body is maybe one of those that needs little sleep. I could get away with 4 hours sleep when working and catch up Friday, Saturday and Sunday, feeling refreshed on the Monday as I was the only sober one without some tale of hangover woes.

Really, you are best getting a 7 hour sleep per night, which will be enough to keep you on the ball. With depression, too much or too little, or even the right amount won't matter so much. Its not like sleep is a cure for depression - but its well known that sleep deprivation over time will leave you prone to depression and other stuff as your immune system is not working to its best.

Keep with us though and you know you got mates here who will be and are on your side.

Many here have had bad experiences in the place you went to - others maybe felt it was OK for them at the time.

Either way its not for you - so try other things instead and I'm sure we'll be in a better place in a few weeks/months than we are right now!

Keep the faith!
  7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

How are you doing? X
  8. carter001

carter001 Active Member

Thanks for the advice peacelovingguy,it's very much appreciated

I'm doing better right now Fitzy,thank you too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.