meds and doctors

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by hornbeam, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

ok i was wondering if people in the uk are mostly under NHS doctors and if they have to pay for their prescriptions and if you think that a private doctor who you have to pay will more readily give you medication and diagnosis.

My most recent doctor who I been with for 2 years will prescribe meds for ocd for me no problem but I mentioned (well someone did mention) that my moods go up and down- which is common and doesnt mean bipolar. do you think if i paid for treatment i would get a diagnosis of bipolar and medecine effective for it- or do what i always done and just get on with it. sorry its so long.

2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that an NHS doctor will arrive at the same diagnosis as a private doctor but maybe I'm naive. I guess you must get better care privately tho or people wouldnt do it but I've never been in the privalidged position to get private care. Be a good experiment for someone who could afford it tho.

3. hornbeam

Thanks Mark for your reply.

4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Most private doctors will give their patients what they ask for. If they didnt then they wouldnt be in business for very long.

5. Tealc

Tealc Banned Member

i just went back to my GP about my depression, i mentioned Bipolar and i was reffered to the local mental health dept.

within a week i was put on better meds by my gp and i have had my first assessment and now waiting to see a shrink, so i doubt going private will do anything more than cost you more.

go back and ask about Bipolar, you have nothing to lose by asking outright.

6. hornbeam

Thank you for your replies. I feel supported so thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.