Meds and the like

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I have on off depression periods, that last for months and often have months in between. I've had about 6/7 maybe more of these in my life, getting steadily worse to the point where the last one, and this one, I have been getting pretty strong suicidal feelings. Went the doctor about it last time, said they wouldn't put me on meds because the feelings I had were 'real', or over something 'real', because at the time I thought I wanted a sex change. But this time the depression is just over, well, nothing really, my life's going well, I'm living pretty independantly, I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me and always visits and stays over and looks after me when I'm depressed, I have good friends who care about me, but yet I still find myself getting depressed and feeling hopeless about this endless cycle that I'm in.

Getting to the point, I'm wondering if meds would be any help to me. I mean, usually by the time I go to the doctors and get referred to a psychiatrist, and get to the top of the waiting list, I'm better and the depressive phase has passed. And I'm wondering if it would be worth being on meds because of how long they take to work and how long my depressive episodes last. And I don't even know if my situation is suitable for meds or anything. My doctors are pretty unhelpful with my depression.

Thanks for help in advance.

K x

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

you can go to your regular doctor and get put on an antidepressant don't need shrink to do that. try it if it works then no harm done right do it call GP and see if meds for depression can be started for you.

3. feathers

Thank you for your help :) So you think meds would be appropriate even though my depression is only for periods of a few months at a time? :/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  4. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Periodic depression as you describe what you're having is very often phisiological; so, yes, meds would help. I would go to a GP and explain exactly what's happenning and ask to try something for a while.

Many celebrities are coming out with descriptions of depression just like yours and starting to fight for better health care and rights for mental health. And to get rid of the stigma. Jimmy Carter's wife, I can't think of her name right now, has been working on this for years.

Don't give up -- you can get help and there is no reason you need to wait so long!

5. feathers

Thank you for your reply :)

6. Black Beauty

Black Beauty Well-Known Member

My personal advice from experience is to not take medication until you come to the point where you can say to yourself: "I think medication will be good for me." It's kind of like a relationship - if you're progressing from a friendship - don't begin it until you feel ready.

So talk to more people about how it's helped them, and then when you feel like you're happy for it to start helping you, then you can take them without all the other conflicting emotions that might affect how you react to them later on.

7. feathers

I'm still not even sure I'd be given them to be honest, I've been turned down before as I said :/

Thanks for your reply

Does anyone know how I can increase the chance I'm actually taken seriously by the doctor when I go? Certain things to say to them, I mean, so that they actually believe me, instead of just giving me a crisis line like the last time and saying 'ring it if you feel like you're gonna kill yourself'? This depression has just gone on for so long and I'm crying and cutting all the time and I just need an out... I'm suicidal every night and if I'm rejected again I'm just going to feel so fucking worthless and like there is absolutely no hope for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  8. Black Beauty

Please just hold on a bit longer... You can write to me if you like... Maybe copy and paste your last post here and print it out for your doctor to see?

I know this might sound a little silly but perhaps you can try finding a Church group of people your age? They might take you more seriously. Sure they'll have some underlying belief that God can help you, but they'll probably try their best to do what they can too.

I mean I guess if you want a doctor to take you seriously you could say you feel like harming someone else, that way they'll HAVE to take you seriously. But please don't think that way, otherwise you might end up in jail instead of a hospital which would be even worse for your wellbeing.

What are some of the things that make you happy? Maybe list a few things and wait for some of us here to reply to you so that way you feel like you have something to live for, even if it's just a reply to your message.

9. feathers

I'm okay at the minute where the being suicidal is concerned. It's only usually at night in bed and it's not like an impossible urge to resist like the last time, just a dull hating my life and wishing I was dead, not quite bad enough to consider acting on it yet :).

Thanks for your advice

10. Black Beauty

Okie doke. Well let us know if you ever end up at that stage where you might seriously go through with it then. In the meantime I hope you find some things in life that make yours worth living for.

I'm suicidal every now and then too but I'm looking forward to trying to build a relationship with someone. I'll probably go back to being suicidal if things falls apart and it doesn't work out but until then I'll keep living and making the most of it.

11. feathers

I'm glad to hear you've got something worth holding on for <3 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.