meds for anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by GreyCat, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

meds for anxiety (please read if u know anything about them)

I wonder if anyone can help. I am having a real problem with anxiety, it is making me unable to deal with people in my working life. I am a reasonably intelligent person, and when I am relaxed can communicate well and can get things done to a satisfactory level at least.

But what is happening to me is that during every interaction I have with people at work at the moment I am really struggling to find words, becoming visibly affected and getting really emotional about it. I don't say it but it cannot be unnoticed, I am an open book at the best of times. The point is I am coming across as being stupid at work(I am not imagining that) and I am finding it extremely difficult to deal with people.

I haven't told anyone at work I have a problem, it wouldn't work out favourably for me to do so. I was on Lexapro, which alleviated my suicidal feelings, but didn't do anything for the anxiety, which is more pressing than the depression, and to a great extent causes the depression.

My point is, anyway, can anyone tell me what the most effective med for anxiety is? without making me sleepy or affecting my mental performance. I don't care about being detached. At this stage not being animated seems a small price to pay for being able to work. I am really scared that I won't be able to work soon, and it's a path I would really like to avoid.

Hope someone can tell me something, I'm getting pretty desperate.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

I was once on Lexapro 10 mg (which was supposedly a relatively low dose - I hear they usually prescribe 5 to 50 mg). The doctor would go on later to say that it was at that dosage to help me more with generalized anxiety disorder. I've been told many times that it really depends on whether you can find the med that works best for you (the least side effects, and the most beneficial) and that it is different for each person. But supposedly there are "good drugs" that in general have lesser/fewer side effects, etc. Either way, I really hope you are eventually able to work again as well as you would like.. and perhaps gain more positive experiences from meds. And this is coming from another guy who has trouble relaxing in social situations sometimes. I understand that it's frustrating to not be able to perform to your fullest potential. :hug:
  3. ewaste

ewaste Member

I don't know what the answer for you will be, but I can give one piece of advice on what NOT to do. Sooner or later, someone (doctor, relative, friend, or someone here) will "helpfully" suggest benzos (you know, xanax, valium, and so on). These are a REALLY bad idea, except for extremely short term usage. Basically if you use them daily for more than two weeks, you can be hooked for a *long* time. The stuff's more addictive than heroin. You'll need a higher and higher dose, until even the maximum dose does nothing for you and you end up in a state of permanent withdrawal (which is basically like your current anxiety, but ten times worse). PLEASE remember this if you are tempted to try benzos. They will give immediate relief, but you are very likely to end up much worse off than you started.

Have you tried any CBT or other therapy? So that you can recognise and derail the thought processes that cause the anxiety in the work situations? Is it *only* work situations that cause you anxiety?

(btw I know my low post count probably means I have basically no cred here, but just trust me on the benzo stuff. For some reason the prescribing doctors very often fail to mention the down side, and it's really important that you at least hear it from *someone* so that you are aware).
  4. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

The only med I found of help was diazepam, a benzo. They can be addictive, so hopefully your doctor won't give huge doses, but they work the best....
  5. OhneDich

OhneDich Well-Known Member

Actually is is not exactly like that. Yes, benzo can give you an withdrawal syndrome if you take it too much and for a long time. But a good doctor will know when and HOW to stop it.

Another thing: you wont get better only by taking meds. Therapy, specially in anxiety, is really important. I dont know which kind of anxiety you have but, if i remember, behavioral cognitive therapy is what you should do aswell. It has strict science foundations, so it's not just some psychoanalysis of your mind. It really helps, if you're able to colaborate with what the doctor tells you to do.

Any doubts, pm me. I'll be glad to reply!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.