Meds for how long?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Pollo, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

Hello, I would like to know in average how long does someone has to take antidepressants?
  2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

There is no definitive answer, antidepressants as with most psychiatric medication is all about trial and error. It can take some time to find the right medication and the right dosage. Also if the individual is undergoing a talking therapy such as CBT and if they have made lifestyle changes such as exercise and diet, all factor in whether the person feels better. It is also important to try and identify triggers, so you can overcome them and ultimately try and identify what makes you depressed (easier said than done).
  3. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

^^ True, it does vary a lot depending on the person, my therapist said some may have to stay on it for their entire life. I've been on them for some years though the effect has worn off even after all the increases or changes, really notice no difference when I don't take them, never has bothered me that I've had to take them though I know soon I'm gonna stop 100%.:unsure:
  4. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I have heard that the average time is 6-12 months. But as mentioned above, every person is different. And I can't find any scientific documentation of the time I've heard, it's just what I remember reading somewhere.

I wanted to throw out there for anyone that is trying to decide whether to give medication a try that I initially went on medication (Wellbutrin) a few years ago and it helped me quite a bit. I was on for about 6 months when I asked if I could go off and the doctor approved. A few months later I was doing very poorly.

It took me several years to figure out that I should have gone back on the medication right away. I finally did get back on the stuff about four months ago and have been doing much, much better.

The two points I'm trying to make are: 1) it's more important to figure out if a medication improves your life than to worry about how long you might be on it; and 2) when you are depressed you do not think particularly rationally, so I recommend having some support person/group that can monitor you when you go off any medication.
  5. badlife

badlife Active Member

it all depends on the person ive been on meds for 2 1/2 years and it still hasnt helped
  6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Definitely depends on the person.
  7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i agree it will depend on the person, it's totally individual. each person has a different diagnosis. i'm bipolar. that means medication for life...
  8. I've been on anti-depressants for appro. 15 years. I've tried stopping a handful of times and each time I've ended up in a psychiatric hospital. I have accepted that I will always be on medications. I've also been on anti-psychotics for 10 years and mood stablizers for 8 years.

Everyone is different so what works for me has no bearing on what may work for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.