Meeting people

theedda

I think it's an age old question: How to make friends as an adult. Though, I think quite uncommon for someone to ask that at 22... But I legit have no idea.

I think considering how much I complain about the same things, some people might know this already, but I got my undergrad degree almost a year ago now. I studied abroad in the UK, and after finishing, moved back to my "hometown". I use that term loosely because I honestly never lived there too long, and the years I did were pretty miserable. I have no interest in reconnecting with anyone I knew from that time, let's keep it at that for now. But honestly, I literally don't even know anyone here outside of family and family friends.

For context, I live in a town of a little under half a million people. Which isn't that small. But culturally, it's not like the US or the UK to a lesser extent, where you'll find a "community" for whatever niche interest you have. To give an example, I've been interested in getting into tabletop roleplaying games like DnD for a while after joining a few online gaming groups and after hours of research I found.... one shop that sold board games that, supposedly had a few groups come in and play very occasionally. I've tried and I've tried, I even asked around a few local message boards, but the whole "Find a club to join" approach (which in my experience has been flimsy enough in other places I've lived in) is pretty much impossible here. I'm not doing a masters for now. I am going to be interacting with more people at work, but mostly they'll be just passing by.

I've been playing around with it so much, but honestly, at this point, the only options I can even remotely think of are:
- Tinder (no luck there, and I honestly hate using it for reasons I won't get into right here)
- Going to bars/clubs alone (kind of creepy, and it would still leave me having to approach random people, which is socially somewhat taboo here, not to mention anxiety)
- Maybe going to cafes, bookstores and such alone. But that's all the issues with bars and clubs times ten, since it's even weirder to chat up strangers there, no one wants to be bothered in that setting.

And that's..... literally it. It's honestly getting me down a lot, since while I can do a lot in terms of self-improvement, socially, I feel like I'm in a hole that's impossible to climb out of

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
@theedda
To reply to your question, Let me first say that it gladdens me when I see someone mention D&D, as I think it's probably the best game ever invented, because it has to do with developing your imagination. And for that matter, any RPG. I never played D&D itself but I played an RPG called the Arabian Nights way back in 1981.
Here in Hawaii, isolated as it is, it would surprise you at the many who play RPGs here. They meet at two different places, a shop called the Armchair Adventurer and another shop called Other Realms. And that's not even including the Star Wars Outpost and the Star Trek fan group. I used to attend the Star Trek group way back in the early 1970s. So exactly where are you located that you cannot find RPGers?

Now that I'm in my 60s, I don't play any RPGs anymore but instead play cribbage and Sid Sackson board games. There is a cribbage club here but I don't attend their meetings because they do tournament play whereas I prefer to play just for fun. Tournament play is too serious, so it becomes more of a labor rather than pleasure, if you know what I mean. So I prefer to meet my friend once a week for the cribbage.

To answer your question about meeting people, what I do is look for partners at the disability Clinic I go to. Most of them are not interested at all, but I have to keep persevering, so once in a great while I find a partner. I don't know if you go to a Clinic the same as I do.

theedda

@theedda
To reply to your question, Let me first say that it gladdens me when I see someone mention D&D, as I think it's probably the best game ever invented, because it has to do with developing your imagination. And for that matter, any RPG. I never played D&D itself but I played an RPG called the Arabian Nights way back in 1981.
Here in Hawaii, isolated as it is, it would surprise you at the many who play RPGs here. They meet at two different places, a shop called the Armchair Adventurer and another shop called Other Realms. And that's not even including the Star Wars Outpost and the Star Trek fan group. I used to attend the Star Trek group way back in the early 1970s. So exactly where are you located that you cannot find RPGers?

Now that I'm in my 60s, I don't play any RPGs anymore but instead play cribbage and Sid Sackson board games. There is a cribbage club here but I don't attend their meetings because they do tournament play whereas I prefer to play just for fun. Tournament play is too serious, so it becomes more of a labor rather than pleasure, if you know what I mean. So I prefer to meet my friend once a week for the cribbage.

To answer your question about meeting people, what I do is look for partners at the disability Clinic I go to. Most of them are not interested at all, but I have to keep persevering, so once in a great while I find a partner. I don't know if you go to a Clinic the same as I do.
I live in a small country in Europe, so finding groups is difficult. Tabletop games and RPGs are apparently bigger than ever and have gotten a huge surge in popularity in recent years (80s and 90s nostalgia I guess), and I'm sure plenty of people play, but with they're probably more likely to play with their existing friends here. I'll probably give that place I found another try at some point, but I don't imagine I'll have much success.

I don't go to any clinics, uh, I was about to say unfortunately, but that's probably something to be grateful for haha. Honestly, I don't have many places where I consistently interact with anyone. I work for the family business, so even my "coworkers" are family members. I'll be interacting with clients far more over the summer, and I am actually expected to be welcoming and friendly with them, but of course, there's a limit as to how long I can really keep them around without being unprofessional, with the exception of the occasional chatty tourist.

This is one of my biggest problems as well.
Honestly, I think that going alone to any place will only work if you are either a pretty person (specially, a girl), or a good talker. I worked out at this gym for about 6 years, and I barely know anyone's name.
If you manage to get any ideas, please share. Meanwhile, good luck :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00