Meetings! in capital cities and such.

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Shock, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a bit of a leap of faith here but I think this would help! I keep thinking, theres soooo many people in this forum and probably so many people out there suffering depression. Shouldnt we start doing something proactive about it? Look I dont mean to propose a 'alcholics anonymos 12 steps' style program nor do I have any miracle treatment or anything, but dont you think it would be good to bring people who are suffering the same ordeal together to share experiacnes and help each other? (dont get me wrong, this site is great! just not like the real thing).

Look, I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. If anyone out there is from around here and wants to get together (or knows of any exisiting group) then lets start talking! I mean in the ways coping strategies, antidepressansts, councelling, experiaces, etc! Like I said I dont have any master plan but Id love to hear from you and your opinions!

Let me state this: Depression is a fucking HUGE problem, it phsyically effects one out of ten people. I could rattle one about statistics and facts but i think people here wouldnt be surprised. Lets do something proactive about it! Reply to this or pm me! Let me know what you think

2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I'd like to meet people from here but I live in Europe :( Good idea though, I hope it works out.

3. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'd love to meet the people from here, but doubt it'll ever happen cause it seems to be a very american themed forum to me and I'm in the UK :unsure:

4. Robin

Robin Guest

Most meets happen in the UK and Terry has an AA thread somewhere, maybe in substance abuse, check it out :)

5. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Really? O.O but in England I'm guessing :tongue:

6. Robin

Robin Guest

Forlorn is trying to arrange one for Milton Keynes last I heard :)

7. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

Im near Kansas City in the USA. Where are my fellow Americans located.

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Where about in the UK are you Anju?

9. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

yup indeed he is :biggrin:

10. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I'm stuck in Northern Ireland, that's why I'm unlikely to meet any of you guys :laugh:

11. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I know there are a few people here from Nthn Ireland... Hazel being one that I saw last week... that have met up before, so it's not impossible. And flights are quite cheap around the UK too of course.

12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Yup - Ryanair or Easyjet etc, are good and cheap budget airlines. Not the most comfortable ever, but it's only a short flight.

I've met up with many SFers here, and must say that I've not regretted meeting up with any of them :)

13. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

man thats cool! what did u talk about when you met? (i.e coping strategies meds etc)

14. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that a good number of you we're from other countries. My lack of being cognizant.

I am in USA on west coast

15. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

This is fundamentally a British site. The founder is English and the site is based here but there are so many different nationalities that it might not always be obvious! That's one of the site's many strengths I think. :smile: And when we meet we tend to talk about normal stuff and have a laugh, it's not all suicide and depression (though it's good to be able to talk about that stuff with people who understand too, of course!).

16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

To the OP, there are maybe half a dozen, at most, active aussies on this board. Shauna you probably know is 1, myself another. I use to be aware of one or two others but they have moved on, or worse. Im based in Melbourne btw, Shauna in Canberra, and now you in QLD lol...so where are we meeting again? lol

17. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Yup. To Shock: We generally talk about 'normal' stuff - over a pint or two :tongue: . The last meet up we had in London, there was about 12 or so of us - we all had a good laugh in the pub :)

18. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

oh wow. thank you for informing me.

19. Robin

Robin Guest

Just don't mention Fuzzy Duck!!!!!!!! LMAO

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  20. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Yeah, cos some people cheat!!!! Mentioning no names----> Robin :dry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.