Megan's Law

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan's_Law

This is a subject I feel very strongly (for personal reasons) about and for years I have always wanted this law for Ireland and the UK and the rest of Europe. WE the public should have a right to know if we are living next door to a Registered Sex Offender or Paedophile. I have researched this a lot and to this day I don't understand why this law is not world wide. Is it they are afraid of vigilante attacks, or the ''they've done the crime, they've done the time''. From what I've read they cannot be rehabilitated etc... someone please tell me why this law is not worldwide, any insight, opinions would be welcomed. I realize this is a controversial topic so PLEASE no rudeness etc.. if you disagree with someone just agree to disagree, I don't want to see this thread locked. Thank you :)

2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah... it sounds good. But on the flip side it's very easy to get on the sex offenders list. And to be frank as far as the law states. Once you serve your time, you are effectively free. Though life will never be the same for someone on the Sex Offenders List. Who would want to hire someone with that stamp?

You want the right. It's a very delicate thing to work with. And as far as I'm concerned, regular people have a huge lack of control. And saying someone cannot be rehabilitated is very close minded. But that's another debate.

Among anything, laws that target and highlight people throughout their life are extremely dangerous. Not just because of their official usage, but because of the primary concepts they bring into the law fold. What about murders or repeat offenders for burglaries where violence occurs?

Regardless of all of that. One of the more tame but direct primary issues is how easy it is to get on the sex offenders list. It's very easy, I've seen people get on that list for very poor choices with their spouses. But suddenly they are lumped into a category everyone associates to Pedophile. And with access to information and a public that can be so easily geared into violence.. Where would these people go? Should be get a section of the country and make them all move there?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Well I was unaware of what you are saying about how easy it is to get on that list. I would have thought a serious conviction of assault/predatory behaviour..sorry but I never knew that about getting on the list so easily.

Basically what I wanted to say in my main post was I was abused and raped by a man in his 40's in 2002 when I was 12. I did not report it for years later and it never got further than the statements stages on my part(and the DPP), was turned down due to lack of evidence. I KNOW what that evil man is and it concerns me that he has small children. My point is even if they are convicted, the next door neighbour may not know and I believe they have a right to. The man I speak of has scarred me for life but unconvicted, I can appeal, someone else could come forward, it's certainly not a closed door. No we don't move them all to one place (yes-I realize that was sarcasm) my point is if it can work in the USA,why not here too?

Perhaps we have different views as I have lived through it, we live in the same village, it's very hostile and tense. I had never heard about how easy it is to get on the RSO list mainly 'cos I've never heard a case of it or it being a problem.

Oh and I edited your post by accident don't worry about that pls :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.