Melatonin used on depression? I guess so.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by silent_enigma, Mar 21, 2008.

1. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Never heard of this before. I use it as a sleep aid every night.

It's really cheap to buy too. $6 for a big honkin bottle at Sam's.
  2. Believe

Believe Well-Known Member

That's so weird - when I was clinically depressed my counselor told me to use some of it to go to sleep, but the bottle warned that people with clinical depression shouldn't take it.

P.S. Please don't buy from Sam's Club if you can possibly avoid it. Walmart and Sam's Club employees are horribly, horribly treated and by purchasing from them, we're all helping to perpetuate it.
  3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Yep... The consuming public must be wary of drawing conclusions from articles like this, which includes cites from experimental studies.

They show correlations between depressed patients and a low melatonin hormone level. The consumer must learn to think critically, as one doesn't necessarily follow the other. For example, with aging comes not only a decrease in melatonin level, but a decrease in the production of testosterone and many other factors.

Nowhere does it say that ingesting melatonin tablets may relieve depression, and there is even a "Precaution" farther down. "Some studies show that melatonin supplements actually worsened symptoms of depression."