Melatonin

Sa Palomera

Anyone here used it?
My therapists are thinking about prescribing me this and I know one person who's used it in the past and it didn't do anything for her.

Anyone here got any experience with it? Did it work for you?

Its a over the counter pill here used as a sleeping aid..One makes me jittery and keeps me up all night. Two pills put me to sleep but I normally have increased nightmares when I take them.

the human sleep pattern in circadian (please excue any spelling errors). Which means...we get sleepy then sleep during darkness..then awaken to light. This is caused by the brain releasing melatonin during darkness hours. (from the pituitary gland in the brain) (please/....if someone knows better, correct me).
the brain increases melatonin on dark..keeps in going thro till daylight then stops it.
You can get a medical test to see how you produce melatonin but it's fairly expensive (here in Australia..no idea about other countries).

If you do take melatonin...taken in correct dose it won't hurt you but will only have an effect if you have a melatonin imbalance.

If you do buy some you need to make sure you get it from a homeopath. The tablets should be sublingual...which means..they disolve on or under the tongue. No use swallowing them...they aren't absorbed thro the gut and need to go into the bloodstream sublingualy - thro the blood vessels under the tongue (as is the case with homeopathics).

I knowall this thro research and experience as my child has a melatonin deficiency/imbalance.

good luck

Sa Palomera

Thanks all, I heard they can be bought here too, just over the counter, but I prefer just going with my therapists' prescription :dunno:
They are thinking about it, because of my sleeping pattern. (I sleep about 4hrs a night, and although at the moment I can still function, in a while I will break down. Been there before, then had a period of about 6hrs sleep only to go back to 4hrs and so on).

But I've heard it only really helps you to fall asleep, it doesn't mean you actually sleep better, but you do fall asleep quicker, supposedly. :dunno:

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
For what it is worth I am taking 50mg Seroquel and that knocks me out and usually gives me deep restorative sleep. Sleeping pills build dependency and rebound insomnia when discontinued.

Melatonin helped me fall and remain asleep but I always woke up with a horrible headache. Friends have had to discontinue it for the same reason.

amicrazy

i like to take SleepNow spray by Nutramist. its main active ingredient is melatonin (with restium and an herbal blend). i love it! it helps me fall asleep when i can;t get myself off the computer and it helps keep my sleep pattern fairly regular. i do remember dreams sometimes (i dk if i should call them nightmares, but i kinda like remembering these dreams so this effect isn't a negative for me). what i really enjoy is that it is a spray and not a pill, so i can take exactly how much i want. if i need to wake up soon and want to take it so i can get a little sleep b4 class, ill just take a spray or two. i take three almost every night, and 4 if i am wide awake and want to go to sleep. (the recommendation is to take up to 6 sprays). this does not knock me out like tylenol PM. i can stay awake on it easily if i dont let myself fall asleep. usually, but not always, the sleep i get on this is as restful as a drug-free sleep. once in a while i feel like even though i slept, it wasn't a deep sleep. but on the whole, it is way better than not sleeping enough.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00