• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Members only viewing of my threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magalee

Hold on to hope
how do I make my threads only viewable to people who are signed in?

When I first got here my threads would say "you must sign in to view or comment blah blah blah." Now my threads are visible when I'm not signed in and therefore anyone on internet can see them. I want only members to view threads, and posts too if possible. Thank you!

Luoma

Need someone to talk to? I'm here!
SF Supporter
I might be wrong, but threads being able to be viewed by members only has nothing to do with your own thread settings, but rather, the settings of the specific forum area themselves.

After you register, I believe the only "private" areas of the forums are the member's diary and the private diary.

Magalee

Hold on to hope
Also I have it checked as members only under privacy on my
I might be wrong, but threads being able to be viewed by members only has nothing to do with your own thread settings, but rather, the settings of the specific forum area themselves.

After you register, I believe the only "private" areas of the forums are the member's diary and the private diary.
can I move those threads to private diary? I thought only members could see those when I posted them. Mostly "my story" I don't want all over the web. I don't understand why it use to block it if I wasn't signed in but now it shows it.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Thank you for explaining Luoma, that is true. Whether or not the thread is viewable by non-members depends on the forum it is written in. The reason we insist on no identifying information is that this is a public forum; even if we set everything to members only, anyone is welcome to become a member here and nobody has any way of knowing who those people are, so having threads viewable only by members does not help anything. Anyone who chooses to can sign up and read anything anyway. Please do remember to use a screen name that is not in use anywhere else and cannot identify you and make sure that you do not include identifying information in threads to remove potential anonymity compromises.

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
Also I have it checked as members only under privacy on my

can I move those threads to private diary? I thought only members could see those when I posted them. Mostly "my story" I don't want all over the web. I don't understand why it use to block it if I wasn't signed in but now it shows it.
I can move that for you. Public diaries are visible only to members and can be replied to if you would prefer it moved there rather than private? A private diary is only visible to yourself and senior staff.

Magalee

Hold on to hope
Thank you for explaining Luoma, that is true. Whether or not the thread is viewable by non-members depends on the forum it is written in. The reason we insist on no identifying information is that this is a public forum; even if we set everything to members only, anyone is welcome to become a member here and nobody has any way of knowing who those people are, so having threads viewable only by members does not help anything. Anyone who chooses to can sign up and read anything anyway. Please do remember to use a screen name that is not in use anywhere else and cannot identify you and make sure that you do not include identifying information in threads to remove potential anonymity compromises.
So is the "my story" forum suppose to be one that shows when not signed in? Which forums do and which don't?

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
So is the "my story" forum suppose to be one that shows when not signed in? Which forums do and which don't?
The only forums that are completely private are the diary forums and the member information forum. Your profile is completely private from non-members also. The My Story forum, if you are not signed in then the titles are visible but the posts cannot be viewed (when you click on a post you get an error "you must be logged in" message.)

Magalee

Hold on to hope
The only forums that are completely private are the diary forums and the member information forum. Your profile is completely private from non-members also. The My Story forum, if you are not signed in then the titles are visible but the posts cannot be viewed (when you click on a post you get an error "you must be logged in" message.)
Ok thanks.
The My Story section is only viewable to members who are logged in.
thank you

Magalee

Hold on to hope
I can move that for you. Public diaries are visible only to members and can be replied to if you would prefer it moved there rather than private? A private diary is only visible to yourself and senior staff.
I'll just leave it. Thank you Freya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$5.00
Goal
$255.00