Members with religious faith.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by bluegrey, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have been far more susceptible to clinical depression and while depressed, much deeper despair since losing my faith. I was raised Catholic and until six or so years ago I believed I would see lost loved ones in an afterlife and believed God heard and helped me when I prayed. I cannot keep up with all of my symptoms by feeling like it is all mostly on my shoulders- the meds, therapy and friends are not there 24/7 the way my faith was.

Can you please tell me what logic or book or person gives or even better gave you back your faith?
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi bluegrey. If you want to reconnect with your Catholic roots, then maybe pick up a bible and read some of the passages on Jesus' life in the new testament. I don't really like the whole organized religion exactly, but I really like the person that Jesus was and the life that he lived and I try to instill his teachings into my daily life. That helps me cope with the challenges that life throws at me. :hug:
  3. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

It's weird for me. I had strong faith and while attending seminary, lost it. Then, I struggled back and forth for years.

The last several years, though, I've wondered back to belief in God. I haven't gone back to Christianity, though. Just a belief in God.

This belief, though, is not an easy one. I think God isn't the God I want him/her to be. He/She is whoever he is. That means things don't always go the way I think they should, and sometimes I don't understand. I also think that God gets mad and hurt, just like we do. God cries, too.

I do think God is with me and carries more than I realize. I pray and really try to trust that God will do things to help, even if they aren't the way I think they should be. I get mad and fuss at God, though.

No particular book has helped me back. I think my reconnection with the Psalms helped me. They have comfort, but also anger and frustration. They seem like people, real people like me, wrote them.

I don't know that this is helpful, but I thought I would share.
  4. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Odd as it seems, I am both Christian and Buddhist. Why? Well, because Christianity has some contradictions which I can not resolve. For the moment, I won't delve into those contradictions (unless somebody asks), but instead say that I combine the two religions because each one answers for me what the other religion can not.

Although disgusted at all the Christian contradictions, I still found much of value in the Bible. Most notably,I find it to be useful for teaching Conscience.

On the other hand, Buddhism does Not bother with believing in anything supernatural (and is mostly atheistic) but it teaches me how to cope with my emotions. At the same time, though, if you ask a Buddhist minister about God, he won't mind if you believe in God. He won't mind whether you believe in God or not. All that matters is you controlling your emotions.

I notice that whenever Christianity is introduced to this forum, many participants get angry and infuriated, even to the brink of violence. In that case, for them, Buddhism might be more appropriate because it is Atheistic, yet teaches how to control emotions.
  5. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Well, it isn't that people necessarily hate Christians or Christianity. But, most people on this site are from areas where Christianity has been dominate and it is probable that they are triggered easily by mention of faith. Often abuse takes place within the context of a Christian setting.

My family was Christian and i have had to deal with quite a lot of triggering caused by abuse that took place in this context. Some of it had nothing to do with the faith, but I still associate it. It's taken me a long time to come to terms with this and, as I've noted, I'm not Christian. I can't go into a church and doubt if I ever will again. Yet, I have a seminary degree... I did what I was supposed to do before I realized what it was doing to me and then anger like you can't imagine built. I'm still angry, but I understand it better now.

Controlling emotion may not be the same need as help dealing with a painful trigger.
  6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I have been a Christian for about 5 years. And because of my depression and PTSD and stuffs i find myself "straying" a lot. I find myself walking away when im suppose to be walking to. (hope that made sense). But for me its my friends that help keep my faith strong. Also, if you want a good book to read when your struggling i would read Ephesians from the Bible. Or John....Idk.. LOL

If you ever need to talk i am here :hug: Stay strong
  7. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Hi... I'm not sure what to say. I was not really raised to be super religious. I don't think my mother is really religious. My grandparents? my grandmother always just said to treat people and animals in a kind way, and in the end mean people got what they deserved. I know, nothing specific.

Religion can be a triggering thing to me. As there can be a fine line between religion and cults (as I know, unfortunately).. I have been going back and forth from beliefs for years, to believing to not. Sometimes I was so scared I thought if I made myself not believe in God that the things I was scared of weren't real, were invalid. I also at this point no longer consider myself as much of a Christian as I do spiritual.

I don't think I need to go to church and listen to someone else's interpretations. There is a handful of things I don't believe God would want. You can go to 100 church of the same kind and get different interpretations. I for one don't believe it's wrong, or a sin to be gay. God makes everyone the way they are...

Anyway, I'm not sure, Hun. You just need to think about think, use your heart and logic and see where it leads you. :hug:
  8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Thank you everyone for your answers. :thanks:

Dave_N, what remained of my Catholicism was really just my disorganized Christianity- never attending church but very frequent informal prayers usually beginning without the sign of the cross.

Ema, I am convinced there is absolutely a supreme being because the further you go back to the origins of life, the universe, matter/anti-matter it all leads to a creator always to be incomprehensible to any human mind. I just want to again believe that supreme being does await us in the afterlife presented in both Testaments and helps us while we are in the flesh.

Winslow, I love the wisdom in Buddhism it does help prevent so much unnecessary suffering that results from universal emotional traps in human nature like attachment, desire and needing permanence. Buddhists knew how important meditation was long before humans were over stressing their minds with modern living.

Painfulmemories3, thank you very much for the reading suggestions. My friends are about half religious and half agnostic and unfortunately the ones I am most in sync with regarding interests, personality, quirks- are the agnostic friends.

CazzaAngel, yes what some people do in the name of religion can get pretty nutty. Islam and honor killings, Christianity and condemning homosexuality, Judaism and the cruelty to animals slaughtered in the Kosher tradition. I just focus on Catholicism because it is familiar and I keep in touch with an incredibly patient and kind priest I was lucky to get to know.

Your replies have honestly made me feel much better. Thank you again! :smile:
  9. 41021

41021 Banned Member

I am a cradle catholic who attended parochial schools. I have to thank my religious upbringing for my spiritual awe. Heh, or my ability to be mowed over in awe at the most simple things. It simply paved the way. Also taught me the value of ritual (honest, there is some value to it and i don't necessarily mean religious ritual, simply ritual in general).

I have always enjoyed a deep rich spiritual life. It's not religious or based on any outside beliefs. It's not based on something someone told me, taught me, etc. It's all internal. Difficult to describe, but i could not imagine being alive without this part of me. I can't imagine existence as a human being without it. I certainly would have ended things long long ago as i would have found no joy in living. My spiritual life is a daily thing. An all day thing, usually. It's been a bit anemic lately due to depression, although it's still there, strong, and important, a vital part of me, of my existence...just a bit pale at the moment.

I'm fairly well convinced anyone can enjoy/possess it. I don't believe a person would even have to believe in God or whatever, in order to have this type of fulfillment in their lives, or to enjoy this aspect of being alive. I've spoken to atheists who actually possess this. One could also be quite religious too. I believe it would simply enhance this spiritual side of one's self.

When i was younger and alone, scared, hurt, traumatized, and in deep physical and emotional pain, it helped sustain and get me through.

For me, religion is an entirely different ballgame.

Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. It's difficult for me to articulate.
  10. mcviking

mcviking Well-Known Member

Funny for me I found more freedom and liberation and happiness with an absence of faith. No more wondering what some god's plan for my life is, no more roller coaster ride of faith, no more eternal sin/repent cycle.

I stopped because it only became lip service and found to many hypocrites in the church. Then studying how many contradictions in the faith their are, how I never really felt accepted and love in the church, and how many atrocities were and still are committed in the name of god. Jesus I feel so much better with out it. Feeling depressed all the time because I don't know what god wants me to do, that I am not feeling the holy spirit, that i am not holy enough for this and this. Feeling guilty for natural urges. Suppressing so much of my sexuality, wants, needs, and desires and for what? nothing.

Seriously, have you ever sat down and thought about it? god loves everyone but if you don't believe in him he sends you to hell forever? god sounds like he is an emo 13 year old girl. And what is our reward? We get to go worship god forever. gee that sounds like a blast. i had my fill after 18 years of church three days a week thank you very much.

If people chose to believe in this stuff then good for them. I still think Jesus message was pretty good. But the way its been twisted and corrupted as an agenda for countless governments; the way it has allowed justifications for acts of rape, torture, war, suppression, slavery, murder, and brutality. No thanks. if there is a god, he is shaking his head at the vast majority of us.
  11. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

My suggestion to you is to turn to our heavenly and build a relationship through prayer. Then I would pray for his wisdom, understanding and guidance, and read his word. Cover to cover. Allow him to teach you about himself and everything else. Forget what you have been taught by man and treat this as new relationship where you want to know the person you have just met. Do not rush yourself, and pray for anything you want, and expect it to happen. I do and I understand everything, and I get everything I want that are in his will. Like the messiah has taught us to pray, "Let your will be done." If you would like to chat about religion any time Pm me. Blessings..
  12. moko

moko Active Member

I like the way you worded that mcviking.
    It summurizes my thoughts quite well.

I stopped at the ''god loves everyone'' during my confirmation class. I asked the leader that if god truly loves everybody, why is there so much discrimination between christians over homosexuality, race, ecthnicity and sex? If god is able to accept and love everybody in an absolute way, why are the people unable to apply this ''love'' to their neighbours as in ''love they neighbour''? This troubled me and lead me to renounce to having any faith so that I can love everybody for who they are.

I maintain my spirituality by applying the basic virtues of any religion: respect of others, respect of self and unselfishely helping others. All I ask in return is that people respect my ''faith'' the same way I respect theirs.
  13. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Yes I am capable of staying civil and respectful. blessings..
  14. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

The trick is to just not ever think about it.

Just repeat to yourself over and over that "God loves me and has a plan for me that will work out".

Under no circumstances question it and just believe believe believe.
  15. mcviking

mcviking Well-Known Member

I can see you are a good person Daphne. I respect those who believe. They have done something I can no longer do. I was raised in the church. Was "saved" when I was 5. Went to conferences, missions trips around the world, bible camps, seminars, was "on fire for the lord" as they say. But I just lost it. Deep down I didn't feel right. Deep down it felt like I was forcing it on myself.

That I was believing because that's what I was taught to. I want to believe but I can't. I want there to be a fire in me, but its gone. I want to feel the holy spirit, but I think it is just my imagination. I always felt an apprehension towards other believers. That they were judging me. That they knew I wasn't one of them. I wanted to submit myself to the lord, but couldn't. I couldn't fight the good fight. I wanted to know my purpose. I liked missions trips, but I liked the helping part alot more than the bible thumping part.

I never understood the obsession with not being able to enjoy anything that was not Christian. It was all too much for me. While I felt compassion and a desire to help some of those in need I only saw judgement and hatred by other beleivers. (IE in regard to homosexuals, drug addicts, muslims) I always respected other religions and found them interesting. I really pondered god's message. Really dug into the word and found out that I could never live up to those standards.

That I am disgusted every time I see a god hates fags poster, or people marching telling everyone they are going to hell. There is no mention of gods love. That is when it hit me if god is love and loves us all, then what is the point? I have begged and pleaded to god to show me the way. Its all hopeless. Are there things in my life that are possibly separating me from the things of god? If hes there then maybe.

But I am tired of having god relapses. Going back to only fall harder and farther away. I only asked god for one thing and one thing only in return for unquestionable loyalty and I believe that I may never find that. And for that I reject him. All I want is genuine love from a woman. I want a family.

I may never have that. And if not having that costs me my soul then so be it. The only reason I still live is that fleeting hope that some day I may find her. The amount of pain, and rejection that I have faced proves to me that there is no god, or if there is I am not one of his children.
  16. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Yes i would have to echo others and say that u have to pray and give urself over to his will and open ur heart and have absolute faith in him and pray for him to show u the way...and when that doesn't work u can only assume the fault lies within u as u didnt believe enuff... u didn't open ur heart... u didnt pray the right way and u were doubtful and god doesnt reveal himself to those who doubt.

but then again maybe the fault isnt with u? Religion and faith can be a very comforting thought, like who wouldnt want to meet all there loved ones after you die, or who wouldnt be comforted by knowing someone is looking out for and will listen to you when u have a problem. So maybe ur faith filled a need in u thats not currently being met in ur life right now, like a sense of community? I would argue that if u fill that void u will find what u r looking for regardless of faith.

It seems to me that ur saying ur lack of faith has been more harmful to you then when u had faith. If thats true then one can only assume its a punishment for ur lack of faith. My question then would be why would u wanna put faith back into anything thats that vindictive and petty?
  17. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Like I have said I am not a christian, and I will answer any questions others may have and that want to know the truth. :):hugtackles:
  18. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Not at all, it takes determination to want the truth no matter the cost to end up where I am. I used to be a hater of the creator, until I got to know the truth for myself about him. Through his word with his guidance, and help I was enlightened on everything. I think about everything. I have faith in Yahweh through experience and knowledge about him. If you wanna question things, good for you. Seek out the truth, but it is hard to receive answers if you doubt the only being I have found to have them. Blessings..:hugtackles:
  19. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Your not christian daphna?

can you tell me then where your signature came from?

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. -Ephesians 6:12

Anyone who is among the living has hope--even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! -Ecclesiastes 9:4

Call to me [Yahweh] and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. -Jeremiah 33:3

Come now let us reason together, says Yahweh, though your sins [rebellious ways] are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are as crimson, they shall be like wool. -Isaiah 1:18

Aren't they from the old testament?
  20. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Exactly, you have faith that "Yahweh"'s answers are the correct ones.

But under what basis? Just faith?

That is not true questioning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.