Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like no matter how hard I try, memories of the abuse that I went through keep resurfacing. Now it's causing me to drink and try to make reckless decisions to cope. Does it get easier?

Theodora

Drinking and making reckless decisions won't make anything easier as I'm sure you know. Getting professional help may. Have you tried the latter?

lelantgirl

I have tried therapies over and over again and all it seemed to do was bring everything out evenmore raw and then more to deal with.
I find I feel I am healing from the abuse stuff then its backwards again on the journey. Talking to those who have been through similar things I feel is often preferable to therapists who have just learnt about it. Its walking in the shoes which makes the difference.
Self help books are good as can be dipped in/out of when you feel like it and not the pressure invloved as with a therapist.
Drinking is a crutch for you but will only cause more and more problems over time. Talk to us, feel free to personally message me. I been working on my healing for over 20 years and some days I feel like I have nearly reached that pot of gold at the end the rainbow and other times gone back to the dark shadows of the thunder clouds.
I dont quite know what the answers are, people tell me to not dwell on it all and it will go away, but its not a case of dwelling is it, the memories and trauma is there and comes into the mind at its own will, not ours. Some days are easier than others, but hope for a day when will be sunshine and no (or virtually no cloud). I think even when we do heal and feel ok again we always carry part of what happened to us, with us for rest our lives but its copeable and in a way in our memory which doesn't continue to damage and hurt us. Take care and here if you wish to vent/chat/discuss. xx

jimk

Staff Alumni
Maytrix sometimes the memories and bad stuff is always going to come a'knocking again.. But with the right help from the rite therapist, is less often and does not stay as long!!!! It can get better and easier..

With the right help which gets thru to you that you are really safe now and is ok to move on you can start freeing yourself!!!!! Like Lelant said the booze is not going to help you in the long run..

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi Maytrix, i used to have the same problems and rarely now I still do. I can't say whether it gets any easier but you can find ways to cope, so maybe that's a better idea. If you have a therapist, if not its probably the right time to..it would be a good idea to discuss this with them and they can teach you coping methods, good luck :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00