Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lifeless84, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Does anyone of you have big problems with their memory? And/Or knows how to deal with them. I seem to have problems learning or memorizing almost everything. I used to like to learn English (like this language more than my native one). I used to be able to memorize up to several dozens of words a week. 20 – 30 words was normal. Of course it took some time to be able to use them freely, but now... I bought a new course book recently, went through first page, got totally 14 words new or words I forgot what they meant. I was trying to memorize those words, repeated them twice a day for about 15 minutes, used them in different sentences. After a week, I was able to recall 2 of those 14 words. I managed to memorize TWO words in a WEEK. More, those were not new words, only words I just forgot what they meant. Of course I gave up after that failure. Other situation, after reading a page of a book (adventure book), I flip the page, and... I don't remember what I read about on the previous page. I return to it, read it again, slowly and focusing on what I read, flip the page and again I do not know what I have read about !!! Crosswords, used to like solving them, but now, I barley managed to solve 5% of it, so it discouraged me and I do not do it anymore. Even more examples, today I watched a discovery program about snakes and it kind of interested me. But after about 20 minutes after it finished, I could not recall a name of any of the snakes. I had pretty clear picture of everyone in my mind, how they look like, but didn't remember their names and facts about them. Examples like that I could continue listing for hours probably...
    How am I suppose to change anything in my life if I can't learn anything, if I forget what I have already learned?? Pathetic I am...
  2. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I have had a problem with my memory since around October, but come to find out it was ADHD and Schizophrenia symptoms combined causing me the trouble. Aside from the medicine I take for it, I suggest making tons of lists, and when watching/reading something, really pay attention to the content and the surrounding details and trying your very hard not to veer off the subject. I may get back to this thread with more ideas - I have a book on improving memory - but I can't promise anything because I might forget :p I have a class in about 10 minutes.
  3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

My memory is really bad. It's been especially bad the past 1-2 years (I'd give you an accurate amount of years, except I can't remember). I'll often even forget plots in my books that I write, which causes me to be inconsistent. (Luckily, I got away with it in the one I just finished as the character himself had a bad memory, as well) What helps with me sometimes is writing things down. I leave sticky notes on my laptop for me (the program, not the real sticky notes), I write things on my calender constantly, I'll write in a journal so I won't forget things I've done/need to do, etc. I'm not sure if this bad memory is a symptom of my depression or something else, I only know that it's gotten worse. Supposedly, a good diet helps, but I've tried that and it didn't work. The odd thing about me, though, is that I'm great for holding information. I don't lose information (for example, I am a walking encyclopedia when it comes to dogs, gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs) but I do lose track of things I've done, things I planned to do, and I can never remember when I did something. For the past year, I thought my late dog passed away at six. She passed last year, and today - while looking at her health records - I discovered that she would have been nine this year. One of my dogs and my cat are both older than I thought they were, as well. Sometimes, I'll try to feed the dogs twice - things like that.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, all the time...I can go into a room and forget what I want to do, or forget what I was doing only minutes before. My short term memory is shit, but my long term memory isn't too bad. I can barely focus on things, and it feels like I'm a fog most of the time. I'm not sure what to tell you to improve your memory, as I'm still working on that issue myself. But you aren't pathetic just because you forget things. I hope that you will be able to find something that will work for you.
  5. scarlettdrknss

scarlettdrknss Well-Known Member

I used to have a good memory. Everyone relied on me to remember something. Since I've gotten my depression, I blocked out some things on purpose but I keep forgetting everything. The person I was yesterday seems like it is thousands of years away. I can barely remember what I did. All I know is what I'm doing at the moment. SOmetimes it scares me to be forgetting so much and sometimes I'm glad the memories can't hurt me anymore.
    It's very frustrating for school though.
  6. lifeless84

lifeless84 Well-Known Member

Sticky notes are good if you are about to do sth and do not want to forget to do it, but if you want to learn sth, it doesn't work :/ My short term memory is total shit, recently I was distracted for about half a second by an sms ring tone and I didn't remember what I was thinking about just before it. Situations like that definitely doesn't make you feel any better. I gave up reading books, articles, etc. about things I am interested in, I gave up watching TV programs about things I am interested in, just because I can't remember anything from them, so what is the point in doing so. Besides, it frustrates me. Worst of all, is the fact, I am doomed to the job I have and I hate, as I can't learn anything new. Ehh...
  7. RumoursOfMyDemise

RumoursOfMyDemise Well-Known Member

Depression has pretty much obliterated my memory, but perhaps in some ways it's good thing...or well...sometimes it's like the memory is there but I don't associate with it, and it's kind of....blurry...if that makes sense?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.