Men and eating disorders

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Blech, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blech

Blech New Member

The common perception is that only girls suffer from eating disorders. Ok yes of course there are exceptions to the rule, some males suffer from eating disorders too.

I think it is much more likely that many many many males suffer from eating disorders but never admit it, or are never diagnosed with an eating disorder because of the way they hide it. I, for one, suffer from one but have nobody to talk to. Men are shamed by society to have a "teenage girls" disease. I think I would like to open the dialogue and to let any males to admit they have an eating disorder of any kind.

I believe this perception kills boys and men and I would like to see this myth disappear. That yes, both adult men and adult women can (and do) have eating disorders that need attention.

Afterthought: found this articel explaining the problem right here

http://www.eating-disorder.com/Eati...ders/prevalence-eating-disorders-boys-men.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  2. crystalclear

crystalclear Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Eating disorders affect men the same way it affect women. you're brave to admit you're problem and i think its great that you're pursuing men with eating disorders to open up as well.. if you need someone to talk to you can pm me.. :) wish you the best

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah I think that men are probably more reluctant to get help for an eating disorder, but they shouldn't be. I think it's great that you are talking about this and I wish you the best of luck in starting to feel better.

4. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I was just running through scenarios of ways to hide that it was an issue if anyone ever asks or makes a comment... I decided to act ignorant and just pretend that I thought only girls suffered from it, would rather seem a bit sexist and narrow minded than ever be suspected...

5. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

I am not ana. But since I have fell I'll it hurts horribly bad to eat food. I have lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks and 2 inches off my waist. That puts me at 105-110 with a 26 inch waist. I look starved. I hate it but it hurts so bad to eat. Any advice.

6. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

I recently read an article that anywhere from 10% to 25%of people who suffer from an ED are male. And by the time males enter treatment they are sicker and far more likely to die from it. However, it is not only that males are less likely to seek help, but even when they do, there is no where to get it. Few residential ED treatment centers accept males.

7. mrfolkrock

mrfolkrock New Member

I absolutely suffer from an eating disorder. But I don't discuss it anywhere. I feel uncomfortable opening up about even anonymously.

8. Ems112

Ems112 Member

I'm a male, and I have an eating disorder. I'm also straight, which apparently is "rare" as well. Guys just don't come forward as often.

9. 2097

2097 New Member

Its easy not to gain body fat. I know since I've never had weight issues in my life.

Metabolism rule: Don't mix high carb foods with high fat foods.

Primary fuel for the body: Glucose (Glycolysis: Glucose Metabolism)
    Secondary fuel for the body: Fat (Lipolysis: Fat Metabolism)

Glycolysis inhibits Lipolysis.

For example: A lot of people have a plate of pasta(high carb) for the 1st course and then eat meat(high fat)/veggies as a second course. What the body does is use the Glucose from the pasta and then store the fat from the meat in the fat cells since it cant use it. Its best to skip the pasta, eat meat with lots of veggies and then a couple hours later, eat ripe fruit.

Eat: meat, vegetables and ripe fruit.

Don't eat: grains, oils and anything processed.

You are what you eat. Eat clean and you'll feel stable.

10. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I think half of the population of the entire US suffers from eating disorder. Both men and women.
    People just don't know how to eat right.
    I think overeating is especially a huge issue, except it doesn't get noticed to treated as a disease because so many people are fat that people don't even see it as a big issue.

11. tness

tness Well-Known Member

I'm developing a sort of disorder with food lately.
    Very depressed and I'm hurting my selves by not eating.
    One small meal pr day.

So it's not only girls that suffer from this terrible thing. But again, maybe I will snap out of it. But i'm not sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.