• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Menopause perimenopausal. How do you get through it? Turned 50 this week

Hi everyone. I am having a terrible time with anxiety and depression as my body does weird things!
Wondering if I should get on hormones. They saved my mother and I have no risk factors. I wish I could try them for a while to see if I feel better. I don’t have a period for a few months then get a few out of the blue. It’s been like this for 18 months. Thought I was done, then I have a couple cycles. Tired all the time. No motivation to do anything but if I increase antidepressant I get too manic. Sleep gets messed up.
memory is getting better. No hot flashes, just extreme moods and the above. Anyone tried HRT? Did it help? Can’t go to yoga and other things due to COVID. So isolated due to COVID as well.

Can’t go to yoga and other things due to COVID
You could still do yoga on your own, just not in a yoga class

In some places, acupuncture clinics are open on a restricted basis. I can say more about this if you are interested.

I hope something can help

BlueGreen

Hi everyone. I am having a terrible time with anxiety and depression as my body does weird things!
Wondering if I should get on hormones. They saved my mother and I have no risk factors. I wish I could try them for a while to see if I feel better. I don’t have a period for a few months then get a few out of the blue. It’s been like this for 18 months. Thought I was done, then I have a couple cycles. Tired all the time. No motivation to do anything but if I increase antidepressant I get too manic. Sleep gets messed up.
memory is getting better. No hot flashes, just extreme moods and the above. Anyone tried HRT? Did it help? Can’t go to yoga and other things due to COVID. So isolated due to COVID as well.
Hi @O2BHAP. I think every woman goes through menopause differently so I can only give my experience and it may not help. I felt like things were going haywire and had strange things like eczema and food intolances that started piling up. I finally got answers by doing blood test and food intolerance testing and some of those were weird - like one nutritionist told me to remove rice and potatoes from my diet and immediately my brain fog lifted. The eczema was horrific and that came from eggs and dairy which all my life I was fine with. I had so many vitamin deficiencies too. So once I got a hold on all those things, my body calmed down. So I think menopause makes the body do all sorts of strange things that we don't associate with the word menopause. I would definitely recommend blood tests and if you can, get your hormone levels tested. My SIL went on HRT and two years later got breast cancer so I steered clear of that even though it was tempting. It may be what you need though?? I have a friend who takes loads of supplements like soya (to replace the lack of estrogen, and although I can't take soya I take Omega oils, chia seeds, flax seeds, things like that and I do find they help. I was SO tired and lacking in motivation too (no hot flashes either) but high doses of Vitamin B and D helped me. So blood tests might help you find any imbalances or deficiencies before you start of something like HRT. If they worked for your mother, then chances are they might work for you too.

You could still do yoga on your own, just not in a yoga class

In some places, acupuncture clinics are open on a restricted basis. I can say more about this if you are interested.

I hope something can help
Thanks! I need to try yoga again online. There are free videos. I just get something out of live classes that I don’t from the screen.

Thank you for the suggestions!😊

Hi @O2BHAP. I think every woman goes through menopause differently so I can only give my experience and it may not help. I felt like things were going haywire and had strange things like eczema and food intolances that started piling up. I finally got answers by doing blood test and food intolerance testing and some of those were weird - like one nutritionist told me to remove rice and potatoes from my diet and immediately my brain fog lifted. The eczema was horrific and that came from eggs and dairy which all my life I was fine with. I had so many vitamin deficiencies too. So once I got a hold on all those things, my body calmed down. So I think menopause makes the body do all sorts of strange things that we don't associate with the word menopause. I would definitely recommend blood tests and if you can, get your hormone levels tested. My SIL went on HRT and two years later got breast cancer so I steered clear of that even though it was tempting. It may be what you need though?? I have a friend who takes loads of supplements like soya (to replace the lack of estrogen, and although I can't take soya I take Omega oils, chia seeds, flax seeds, things like that and I do find they help. I was SO tired and lacking in motivation too (no hot flashes either) but high doses of Vitamin B and D helped me. So blood tests might help you find any imbalances or deficiencies before you start of something like HRT. If they worked for your mother, then chances are they might work for you too.
Thank you for the reply.
I feel better when I don’t eat sugar, wheat, or dairy.
It’s a vicious cycle that is hard to break when I get so down, I have to use all my strength to take care of myself the way I need to.
I would Benefit from peer support, but COVID makes it all online now. The stress of COVID isolation makes it all worse.
Ill try getting tested for some things, but sometimes it only makes a little difference.
I know to do some things that help but it’s walking through molasses. Full time job that gets lonely and tiring.
Seems like you gotta throw it all at the wall to see what sticks with these things. LOL😄

BlueGreen

Thank you for the reply.
I feel better when I don’t eat sugar, wheat, or dairy.
It’s a vicious cycle that is hard to break when I get so down, I have to use all my strength to take care of myself the way I need to.
I would Benefit from peer support, but COVID makes it all online now. The stress of COVID isolation makes it all worse.
Ill try getting tested for some things, but sometimes it only makes a little difference.
I know to do some things that help but it’s walking through molasses. Full time job that gets lonely and tiring.
Seems like you gotta throw it all at the wall to see what sticks with these things. LOL😄
Yes, I think especially anything hormone related is nearly impossible to 1. get taken seriously and 2. get effective treatment. Keep trying though @O2BHAP , it really is worth it. I felt like everything was going downhill and this is how it was to be from now on but a few changes can make all the difference. A few dietary changes and now I have (almost!) normal skin and at one time I was using Superglue to keep all the cracks together to get in the shower. Vitamins are so important and so easy to get sorted. I have wheat and dairy sorted (dairy intolerance came with menopause, wheat long before) and now I need to get my sugar levels under control but I find that so hard. Sugar is so addictive, I really struggle with it too. Those three things are a good place to start though if you can cut them out and stick with it as much as possible and don't beat yourself up when you can't.

Leesa

I got the news 2 days after my 51st birthday in May. Last time I had my hormones checked was a few weeks before I turned 50. I felt so relieved. But then last August my skin started to look different and I suddenly felt like I looked my age. My face started breaking out early spring, racing heart and then my sleep started getting worse. With all of that I started having I guess what would be night sweats-- different than hot flashes. It's uncomfortable. I have felt anger and sadness beyond belief. My life never started and here I am alone knowing it will only get worse. I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago today actually. It ruined my body and I thought I was helping myself. I have no advice. It just sucks.

I’m reading a book called Older and Wider by Jenny eclair. It’s available on kindle at the moment and has a look at menapause with a slightly humorous twist. I would recommend it for some light reading on a serious topic. It’s not something you can avoid but it’s rarely talked about which can make it so isolating and difficult to cope with. I would definitely try hrt if it was going to help. But it is all personal and you have to do what’s right for you.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$255.00