mental health and social justice

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by greywool, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greywool

greywool Member

hey all. i'm going to be speaking at a convention on mental health and social justice. it will be my first time 'coming out' at an academic forum about my mental health issues - as i'll be speaking as a service user. just wondering what aspects of your own experiences might be important to speak about. where do you see injustice in your experience? what do you think those in academic research on mental health need to hear? i certainly have my own experiences, but it would be good share others as well.

2. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

Good luck

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

My injustice is the insurance system with mental health

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Injustice is excluding the family in the care decisions made

Housing there are no respectable housing for people on disabilities the wait list is so long anyways that people who are ill forget to reapply for them and they are dropped off list

This list should remain intact until it is the person turn to be asked people who are ill do not have it in them to continue to fill out forms it should only be a one time form .

5. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

For me, it's very easy to point out where the injustice is. The fact that you can be locked up against your will and for an indefinite period of time for suicidal ideation (with or without a mental illness), is one of the gravest injustices in my society. Mental health wards basically function as re-education centres in many cases, because the only goal is to indoctrinate 'patients' with Judeo-Christian 'sanctity of life' values.

6. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

Good luck, seriously, its going to take everyone to speak about mental illness to (hopefully) someday remove the stigma - main reason I avoid getting the help I an in need of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.