Mental Health Awareness / Depression DVD

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by pit, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

You may be interested in a 30-minute mental health / depression / substance abuse educational film that has won 25 awards and featured on the Voice America Health Channel, MetroBeat Television and in a feature honoring the work of cognitive psychologist Dr. Aaron Beck. The film was directed by my son Bryce, a student who discusses his true-life experiences with depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, self-injury, substance abuse/self-medication and his treatment. If interested in ordering the DVD and discussion guide or if you'd like more information please let me know.

Bryce received the National 2009 Welcome Back Award for De-Stigmatization (for reducing the stigma of depression) and his film received the 2008 SAMSHA Honorable Mention Voice Award (for raising awareness of mental health issues).

Tom Mackie

Excerpt From Discussion Guide - Note From Director
    Last year I learned a valuable lesson. That what you don’t know can hurt you. My experience with major depression taught me that lesson. I thought I had the perfect life. I had everything going for me – great grades in school, a great girlfriend, great parents, success in athletics, popular in school, etc. Then one morning I found myself crying uncontrollably at my kitchen table. I cried over and over and felt horrible for several weeks. For the first time in my life, I found myself thinking about suicide. I felt tremendous pain and along with the crying spells, I felt hopeless and alone only wanting to escape from everything and everyone.

How could I be experiencing this when absolutely nothing was wrong with my life? Nothing “suddenly bad” had happened. I had no idea what was going on and didn’t know what to do. As you’ll see in the film I made (originally with no intention of showing to anyone), I captured my feelings unaware I was experiencing major depression, a biologically-based mental illness.

Once I learned depression is a biological-based illness, I realized how ridiculous it is that there is any stigma at all associated with it and this unjustified stigma contributes to the embarrassment and shame preventing many people from seeking help. I hope my personal experience, my film and the discussion guide will be shared with as many people as possible because everyone, including both individuals in need and those around them, needs to be made aware of this condition. I strongly believe education is the secret to not only reducing future suicides as a result of depression, but also to improving the quality of life for individuals, their friends, and their family members for generations to come. [Note - Bryce is currently working on a second film documenting his most recent experience being diagnosed Bipolar I and reducing the stigma associated with psychiatric hospital care. He and his father continue to speak nationally on these subjects.]
    Feedback

"It is strongly recommend this film be viewed by parents, teenagers, educators and school counselors." - EMRO (Educational Media Reviews Online)

"You have in your hands the ability to save many, many lives. It is crucial to spread this message.” - Kathryn W (International Foundation for Research and Education on Depression)

"I recommend adolescents and their parents see this unique and touching film." - Dr. Megan R, MD (Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist)

"Eternal High powerfully depicts how depression is experienced and how it is hidden in those around us. The film has helped my clients and family members identify depression and seek therapeutic intervention." - Mary P (LMSW, ACSW)

2. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

I really can't find any sympathy for a guy who you explained has had everything great.

"I had everything going for me – great grades in school, a great girlfriend, great parents, success in athletics, popular in school, etc. Then one morning I found myself crying uncontrollably at my kitchen table."

Honestly putting aside my hate for society, to me it sounds like a hunk of bullshit.

3. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

why? since when does mental illness discriminate??

4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

All this info that I posted was emailed to me. I don't have a son named Bryce, nor was I popular in high school etc. Everything was highlighted and posted. I figured a DVD about depression and bipolar would help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.