Mental Health Field

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Perhapsa3, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perhapsa3

Perhapsa3 Well-Known Member

I wanted to work in the mental health field (psych ward) but now I feel like the safety net provided by these organizations allows abuse to go unchecked. Abuse continues because of lenient consequences. What if there was no safety net for the abused? What if the abusers had to endure the abuse and ill effects in return? Whatever happens to your victim happens to you. Who would abuse knowing the consequences of their actions?

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Where do you live? Quality of mental health care depends a lot on that.

I'm in Ontario and I got formed once. (Legally declared to be a risk to myself or others and required to be held at a mental health facility regardless of my wishes.)

Within an hour of that form being formalized I had a brief meeting with the rights advisor (Having this is required by law when forming a patient) and she advised me of the stipulation of my form and informed me of my right to retain her or another rights advisor at any time to appeal the form if I thought it was inappropriately put on me. (An appeal could potentially make it to a court if I press the issue.)

Also I could readily complain about one staff member to any other if I wanted to (Fortunately I never found need) and after spending months on that ward I know that the majority of those staff would take complaints seriously and lobby to get another staff member investigated if I made a serious complaint.

Also the majority of studies show that bigger consequences have negligible effects on crime when looking at places that have higher prison sentences and/or the death penalty.

Look at Norway - they have pretty low crime rates compared to the majority of the USA even though Norwegians don't have any death penalty and have much easier sentences on average.

3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what your getting at, your worried abuse goes on in mental health facilities or your worried you would be abusive because you dont think there are enough consequences or what.

4. Perhapsa3

Why do people become a harm to themselves or others? There are reasons. Abuse leads people to feel this way or to do what they do. The presence of these facilities provides abusers with a way out responsibility for their actions and actually blames the abused. This is what happened to me. Oh Yes! I was severely mentally abused in the mental health facilities I was required to go to. My father and I don't communicate a lot but after he spoke with the doctor over my care in the hospital my father looked at me and said 'You've lied to me so many times I can't believe or trust you anymore'. My father and I speak very little so how could I even lie to him as much as he accused. The doctor over my care put lies and words in his mouth. This was inside the hospital not the abuse I received before admission.

I lost the life I was making for myself because of others devious actions. I got admitted to a mental health facility, abused there and pretty much told to shut up about what's happening and the abusers continue on with their lives and abuse because places like this cover for them. That's what I'm saying.

I don't know what it's like in other countries but here if you complain those people will find a way to make your life a living hell. We're a third world country no doubt. I hear stuff on the news happening in other countries and gasp but then I find that the same disgusting things are happening here but kept quiet. Disappointing.

5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were put in that situation where someone used their position in such a abusive manner. I don't want to prod, but making people endure the suffering they cause others only continues that cycle, and in my opinon, destroys the very thing that stand for that stops you and others from doing similar things. At best if you made someone endure what they had done, you give them a glimpse on how their actions affect others. But it's a crude and horrible way of doing that, and more times youll cause people to resist and become even more abusive and violent, simply by attacking their life. If someones abusing someone else, they are in need of help. I know it's a crude line.. it's a concept, it all really depends on the situation, but if you have control, forcing any form of abuse is dangerous. Not for the other person, but mainly also for yourself. Actually connecting to that part of a person where they can percieve that something is right and wrong is very difficult.

If you want to work in that field, maybe learn what the respect and procedures that these organisations have to adhere to is. The more information you have, the more you can identify loop holes and issues that allow for the wrong sort of people to get into these sorts of positions. Or for good people to fall into bad justifications. But that's trying to change a system, and that's consuming at the very least. It's also very isolating.There are bound to be very well respected groups that deal with these issues that you could find perhaps. It's defiantly not a broad concensus that people working in the health field are inevitably going to abuse the people that need their help.

6. Perhapsa3

No I don't want to work in that field anymore. It's like washing without soap. In it's current state the world will continue to produce situations and victims unless the underline causes for abuse are cleaned up. Prevention decreases restoration needs.

I'm not attacking them, just sharing my experiences. They attacked and continue to attack me. If they cannot stop their abuse, they need to be removed from their post. This is sane reasoning.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

How can they be stopped if no one is willing to stand up and put a stop to it? You could buck the trend.

8. Perhapsa3

I'm not doing what they are doing which is invasion of privacy and harassment in every way possible. If restoration is the goal their destructive actions are illogical. Their trend stops here, with me, no matter the cost.

Trust me, I want to do more, way more but I'm completely surrounded by people who lack good intentions for the world.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.