mental health nursing

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by gem77, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gem77

gem77 Well-Known Member

hi,

not sure if i'm asking this in the right place but i was wondering whether mental health nurses [for the UK] administer medication to patients unsupervised ? I'm thinking of applying for a course at uni as i like the thought of helping people but am worried about when working out dosages for patients which i know will be taught but is it for every nurse in mental health. im not good at maths/ biology and am ok at practical things but i like the thought of supporting people and helping them. thank you.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi there,

I am a registered general nurse and I believe that drug calculations are apart of all fields of nursing. In mental health you tend to get less drug calculations than in general adults/paediatrics but you will need to learn the basics for dispensing tablets and giving intra muscular or subcutaneous injections. It's really easy. The questions tend to be like, "You have a pot of 150mg quetiapine tablets and you want to give 300mg, how many tablets do you need to give?" You also have to work out how many mls of a solution you need to give which is very simple. And for the injections it's pretty simple too, they will give you the calculations to learn which ends up being "what you want divided by what you've got multiplied by mls in ampoule". It sounds complicated but it's really easy, I wouldn't worry about it. I am shocking at maths too, but I passed my maths exam as a newly qualified nurse hands down, it just takes a bit of practice, patience and studying.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Gem you will do fine ok pharmacy usually dispenses the pills in what form they have to come in if not it is written on the bottle usually the amt to give That being said drug math is not complicated hun It is easy once you know formula and if you have any question as sometimes i did i always got a second nurse to confirm with me or i picked up phone and asked the pharmacist As long as you ask question you will do find ok Never be afraid to ask questions if you are not sure hugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.