Mental Health = Poor medical health

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by itmahanh, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

So watching the news the other night and they have an article about how people are treated in the ER regarding heart care and mental health issues. This is how it was broken down:

Two people arrive at the ER with chest pains. One is a mentally health individual. The other shows use of antidepressants. The person that is mentally healthy is treated as such. Triage upon arriving approximately 17 minutes. IV drip within about 37 minutes. Vessel opening approximately 110 minutes.

The person that has mental health issues as follows:
    Triage upon ariving about 20 minutes. IV drip about 53 minutes. Vessel opening approximately 251 minutes.

This was a Canadian study. What the Hell? Both are suffering the same but because the medical professionals cannot get past the very stigma that they are supposedly to be trying to stop, the person with mental health issues is treated as second rate. This shit has to stop. It's gonna kill someone, one day, too soon!!!!

Just because of medicine that a person has to take, that was prescribe by a professional might I add, does not give the doctors the right to assume that this is some imaginary situation. Has anyone else here faced this kind of discrimination with professionals?
  2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I usually get in pretty quick but have never been given an IV even though I have struck a vein before. The doctors always say a cut like that never bleeds much, thats bullshit when I cut a vein every time I have lost a mass amount of blood, they never believe me.
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yes. Usually [here in the USA] the discrimination has little to do with the status of mental health; more to do with the status of their health insurance coverage.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Well when the U.S. gets the t's crossed and i's dotted and you have a similar health program that we have up here, it will be all about what you take :wink: welcome to free health care!!! (lol)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.