mental health & religion

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

what can you say about religious people who said that suicidal thoughts are made of satan?

2. synchrohobbit

synchrohobbit Active Member

Since people that religious don't understand neurobiochemistry and sociology or genetics, they just attribute mental illness to "satan."

3. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

I don't think this forum is a great place to have a debate about religious belief.

That said, the view you are speaking of here can be a powerful influence on suicidal people. I do not feel that the Christian view of suicide is a healthy one. The idea of further punishment after trying to escape misery is frankly revolting. The truly funny part is that this view isn't strictly Biblical. Most of their current views of Heaven/Hell/Satan were formulated centuries after all of the New Testament gospels were completed.

If this is bothering you personally, consider doing some genuine research into Christianity. I assume this is the religion you are speaking of, since no other religion has this conceptualization of "Satan."

4. JigsawJohn

JigsawJohn Well-Known Member

I don't think every christian person has that belief. I know a couple of christians who are sometimes suicidal or just depressed or have other mental illnesses that doesn't believe they will go straight to hell for their state of mind. For them it's more like God's testing them, giving them a challenge and if they are good people they do have a place in Heaven.

Although I'm not christian, I think that sometimes it's not a bad religion, it might be a real comfort if you're not feeling well. My guess is that it's more common among those christians who have no experience in such matters might have that view that mental illness is a "work of Satan", but not everyone of course.

Among other religions it's about the same from what I've experienced, that some people care more about if you're good in heart more than just focus on the "bad parts" of your life. Now I won't go too deep in the matter or I'll just confuse myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.