• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Mental Health Society

EmB

Absolute Peach!
This post is kind of aimed at younger members, but all are welcome to input!

My uni doesn't have a mental health society and I decided I want to put one together. I think at the moment, when mental health is more of an issue than ever, giving people a positive space to relax, have some no-pressure fun, and meet like-minded people would be good, as well as hopefully do some things to help students and address mental health throughout the uni? I've not got the idea approved by the university yet because I'd like to come to them with a solid idea of what could be done! If they can't help I may set up my own group and rely on word of mouth instead.

So the question is... what sort of ways could the society work? I want it primarily as a safe, positive space for those with mental health to be able to come and just chill out, enjoy themselves, and meet people, but ideas addressing MH, awareness and other things are great too! Obviously things have to be online right now, but ideas I have are :

- Quiz nights
- An online art session, maybe a chat whilst you colour thing
- A game session (a video game selected beforehand)
- Videos online of things to do to keep yourself positive, posting positivity online everyday (quotes and MH tips)
- Some sort of project to work on through a few weeks and then share with the rest of the group, but unsure on this yet.
- Online film nights

I'd love to hear more ideas - what you'd like to do, what you find helpful (even if you don't think it would be the format, all ideas are useful!), what you think is fun! I want to make this a really great place for those who are struggling, especially at the moment.

Sending hugs

This sounds like it might be really good :)

Some form of chat or online communication might be good. Maybe you could even get SF to set up a private chat room for the group.

It may be important to make it something that can more-or-less run on it's own, so that if you are in a crisis, you won't feel pressure to maintain the group if you are feeling bad.

You might want to look for existing groups to learn from their experiences.

Stigma might be a big issue, so maybe keeping it anonymous might be worth thinking about.

Calling it something like "Peer to Peer Counseling", and keeping it open to a lot of different issues might make it more approachable.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
This sounds like it might be really good :)

Some form of chat or online communication might be good. Maybe you could even get SF to set up a private chat room for the group.

It may be important to make it something that can more-or-less run on it's own, so that if you are in a crisis, you won't feel pressure to maintain the group if you are feeling bad.

You might want to look for existing groups to learn from their experiences.

Stigma might be a big issue, so maybe keeping it anonymous might be worth thinking about.

Calling it something like "Peer to Peer Counseling", and keeping it open to a lot of different issues might make it more approachable.
Thank you! This is super helpful :)

Sending hugs

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$255.00