Mental health...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by SashaJade, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SashaJade

SashaJade Well-Known Member

Sorry if anyone disagrees with this rant but...

(Language warning.... MAY get colourful...)

I feel like the mental health professionals don't give a shit about how i'm feeling. I've lost count of the failed suicide attempts they know about and threats i've made when i'm suicidal. They don't listen to anything I say. They just say, oh you're having a bad day or they give me a safety plan. Like a fucking piece of paper is gonna stop me trying to top myself...

I just don't understand why they don't listen to my pleas of desperation. I've been told by numerous people I need to be on the psychiatric ward, my mood is never stable, not only am I a risk to myself, but i'm a risk to others too. The mental health "professionals" just don't seem to see this. Some of the lengths i've thought of going to just so I can get help are stupidly dangerous for me, and maybe for others too. If it isn't dangerous for them by God it would be traumatic.

I just want to be LISTENED TO.. They hear me, but the DON'T LISTEN to what i'm saying. They don't try to help me out of this hell hole. :rant:​

2. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I understand where your coming from. :( Wish they would actually listen more instead of just deciding what to do with you on their own.

Maybe try telling them exactly what you need. :dunno:

I have had similar problems. I'm sorry your so frustrated with it right now. :( :hug:

3. SashaJade

I've tried this... I really have. The just don't listen. Anyone else they listen to... It just seems to be they don't. So many people play them, they get put on the ward when they aren't even fucking ill. One woman does it so she doesnt have to look after her kids when they are off school for holidays. Its fucking rediculous here I am needing help and not getting it, while she is in there all smug knowing she fooled them again.

4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I know that things are hard Sam. I hate that we are not listened to. All the methods they use to try to keep us safe aren't good enough. I agree that there needs to be more done with the tools that are available to us.

I hate it when my psychologist plays devil's advocate. He asks me why I want to kill myself, and I tell him why. But then he comes back with what about this, this and this? I tell him that I've already thought of that. Then he tells me my level of suicidality is NORMAL?!?!

Yes, my looking up methods, and planning my demise is normal apparently. All I get is a phone call if I miss therapy, and a phone call if I want to hurt myself.

It's irksome.

5. SashaJade

Thats EXACTLY what happens to me too. If I don't turn up to an appointment or whatever, they just call me, "Are you coming in today?" I turn round and say "Not today" and they say OK and hang up. Don't ask me why not or anything. I could be dying and they wouldn't know. Half of the time they don't even call.

6. lightbeam

*sigh* I wish there is something I could do for all three of us. But it seems like all our pleas either fall on deaf ears, or are belittled.

One of these days we are going to hurt ourselves, and they will have been given plenty of signs.

7. SashaJade

I couldn't agree more this statement. One day they will regret not listening to us.

But I guess then will be too late.... :sigh:

8. lightbeam

I've showing all the warning signs for at least 1 year. It wasn't until the 'faq' appeared before me, that I really was seriously was getting ready. I learned how to make things; dangerous chemicals, that I will probably use in conjunction with each other to ensure my untimely demise.

But hey, my therapist said he thought I was smarter than him, and I told him that I doubt it, because I don't hold a Master's degree in psychology. Maybe he is wrong. Maybe I am smarter than him when it comes to making things to kill myself.

9. SashaJade

I believe we are smarter than them in some aspects... Ive become a genius at pretending i'm okay, putting up this front no one can break through.

But i've let this down recently, they still aren't helping. I can't win. I'm in a huge crisis situation at the moment and they don't help.

Sometimes I swear I could do there job... Or my friends could, you guys included. I've had better advice and help from people who are going through the same or similar situations that I am than I have from the so called "professionals" all my psychiatrist does is pump me full of meds and send me off again. No help or advice or nothing.

10. lightbeam

I've tried to let that barrier down multiple times during the past 6 months. But it seems that whenever I seek to put that barrier down, they just don't care. I mean I feel bad that they can't tell the difference in the way I am asking for help.

I can only do so much.

'Are you going to hurt yourself?' 'Yes.' 'Well I want you to make a safety plan with me to not hurt yourself.' 'OK...' 'You will call the crisis line, and they will come pick you up if they have to.' 'OK...' 'Call the Med Team and let them know what is going on, so I can be kept in the loop.' 'OK...'

That's essentially all I get. I recite the crisis number back to them. I have it memorized. Then off I go. I've done everything I can to get help, and it still falls on deaf ears.

11. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

at least you get a safety plan. i get nothing so i cant advise...its bad here
    i am screwed and cant relate much.

12. lightbeam

Safety plans don't do much when you are suicidal. They are there to possibly delay the inevitable. I mean if your going to go through with it, you'll do it regardless of the safety plan.

13. lancashirelass

lancashirelass Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel hun i am going through exactly the same now and mine just says i'm not ready to go out in to the world so i should just sit at home and carry on shing of oding cause they are not trying to help me get better they think they know what you need and that is end of story they don 't listen to what we want.

14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I urge you all not to give up..don't let them beat you..
    change docs, change pdocs , keep fighting until someone listens
    you don't deserve to die because the health proffessionals aren't doing their job properly
    you're worth more than that

15. 41021

41021 Banned Member

I'm glad you all have this place
    i suspect in many ways it's better than the shrinks.

i can relate to the need to be heard...to actually have someone hear what i am saying. They don't have to quite understand as long as they are trying to hear it. Sometimes ppl don't need a bunch of advice, ideas, or suggestions, they need more to be heard.

playing with chemicals, looking up methods, is so far from normal it's not in the same county. It's risky for them to ignore that.

For me a safety plan would be a joke. Why? To what end? If I am suicidal wth? Like i would really call someone? Gawd i am such a hypocrite huh? I suggest those things to ppl but for me it just would not work 1. i would never call someone and 2. my location is remote so there is no one to call.

Anyway, ****hugs**** for all of you. Holding you all in my heart today (the best i can).

16. kote

kote Account Closed

im glad to see that youre sounding in better spirits!!!
    youre an important part of this community and we all appreciate your help always!!!

17. TooShyToScream

TooShyToScream Well-Known Member

Listen, if you know what you need to be better and they won't do it for you, your only other choice is to lie and tell them what they want to hear. That's what I did to get my benzo prescribed to me and it worked and helps a lot more than the crap they used to give me.