Messed...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by cult logic, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

It seems so messed up how my drunk/high self is more rational, sociable, and generally more pleasant than my normal self.

Lots of people do stupid things drunk, but if anything it makes me ruminate on things less and I don't freak out, just stay calm about it instead of blowing things out of proportion and ending up enraged or suicidal.

More so than anything, I just love when the constant anxiety disappears, being able to just relax is the best feeling in the world.

Still don't know what to do about it all.

The only things that my doctor has ever prescribed that worked were benzos, which he is understandably reluctant to prescribe to people as they are little different than the recreational stuff you can find.

Not sure what my point is here, just sorta writing down my thoughts.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

hope you can see alcohol is just temporary fix as with benzo i think anxiey meds that are more long term would be more beneficial and therapy as well hugs to you

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

This is why ppl self-medicate...talk to your pdoc and see what other medications are there for you so that you have a longer term solution...J

4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I personally can totally relate to everything you're saying. I first started drinking when I was 21 and it was a considerable amount. I rarely felt depressed from it and it made me feel sooo good words can't even express it. But after a year things began to change. My tolerance skyrocketed and it started to take it's told on me. I overdid it much more often and it just made me more depressed in the long run.

Like total eclipse and sad eyes said, it's a temporary fix. I know it's easier said than done, and I certainly have no room to talk because I still struggle with substance abuse, but if you can get by without weed or alcohol, it'd be for the best. I wish you luck.

5. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Moderation is the key for some whilst abstinence is the key for others.

Excess, in the form of any daily habit, is were the trouble begins. You can drink a fair bit, but if you go out 3 times a week and never drink in the house then it might be good for you.

Of course, there will be times when you are in the mood for some excess. In this case I veer on legalising some drugs and giving people a choice based on knowledge of the benefits and consequences. However there are more profits in an illegal trade for whoever owns the prisons.

Tolerance for booze is notorious. Even someone like me would go to a festival, be sick the first night but by the fourth night I'm still there at 4.00am looking for the party with my can in hand. I was a cheerful drunk and rarely got into arguments or making any scene. Good thing is - if you limit your drinking to the weekend, usually your body cleans itself so your nicely mellow on 3 or 4 pints or so.

Alcohol is a depressant though - and the hangover hardly helps does it? Some of my worst experiences on drugs were 100% legal. Booze hit me harder than any other drug when I got to the point of maybe having a few drinks every night and starting the weekend on Thursday and end it on Sunday/Monday Morning.

I guess if you really struggle with booze then abstinence is the best in the long run.

Everyone finds some substance in life they like - but with depression we need to be careful and use moderation IF we use atall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.