Metal: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by aviewfromchaos, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aviewfromchaos

aviewfromchaos Well-Known Member

list your reason and not just "teh metulz suckz. itz just noize" or "metul rulz. it's soo br00t4l." actually have a legit statement. obviously i'm a tad biased on the subject. lol. my personal favorite genres are Death Metal, Traditional 80's Black Metal, Deathcore, Thrash and Hardcore (not technically metal, but still good)
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I love metal. I listen to many diferrent genres of music but predominately metal.

As for why i like it, i can't say for sure. I think, it just makes me 'feel' something.
  3. aviewfromchaos

And favorite bands if you want as well. =D

Whitechapel, Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster, The Showdown, Salt The Wound and Goat***** are my current favs
  4. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It's too hard to pick favourites.

On my MP3 player at the moment i am listening to Gojira, Decapitated, Rotting Christ, Demons And Wizards and As i Lay Dying.
  5. aviewfromchaos

i LOOOOOVE Gojira. i saw them with Metallica. great freakin band. their song "Backbone" got me into Technical Death Metal.
  6. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Backbone is my favourite. Such an amazing song.

I can't stop listening to The Art Of Dying at the moment. I can't get enough of it. So epic. The rest of the album was a bit average for me though. I still prefer From Mars To Sirius.

To be honest, i never got into Metallica. I can appreciate what they did for metal. But i just never really 'got it'.
  7. aviewfromchaos

yeah. they sorta just re-used all the riffs after "Master of Puppets". great music, just overplayed. i'm intrigued by Doom Metal right now. Paradise Lost and November's Doom are really good.
  8. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Doom Metal is great. Check out My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost :)
  9. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I love metal, it's probably one of the most passionate forms of music out there and it has helped me through some rough times over the last 15 years.
    I don't listen to as much of it as I used to because I think the genres I used to like have changed way too much and so have I, but back then I was into bands like Killswitch Engage, Metallica, Incubus (when they actually WERE metal!), Korn, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Alice in Chains, System of a Down, Disturbed, Taproot, At the drive In, Coheed and Cambria, Finch, Sunny Day Real Estate...

I won't get into a weird debate on what is classed as metal and what is classed as rock music, because I'm not 15 and if a band says they are metal, well I'm gonna call them that also.
  10. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I started out listening to music like Lorn, Tool etc :) They still hold a special place for me.

I absolutely adore At The Drive In!

HAve you got the new Coheed album? It took me quite a few listens to get into but now i love it. I was just so used to instantly loving their albums that it was weird to have a 'grower' on my hands.
  11. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I don't really listen to music anymore, but my favorites used to be Kalmah and Children of Bodom.
  12. Wednezday

Wednezday Member

I'm pretty picky about my metal, but I listen to all genres.
    Dir en grey, MUCC and Dog Fashion Disco come to mind. All are bands that only cover metal some of the time...
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's got great structural properties and can be easily formed into all sorts of useful thing. Metal is definitely good.
  14. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

well, metal is a huge part of our society. Without steel for instance, we would not have had the industrial revolution, nor built many of our skyscapers. Without other metals we wouldnt have microchips or cars.

So metals are definately something to be happy for :)
  15. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

It's okay for what it is. Stupidly fast and heavy music. I like some death metal and grind and a few thrash songs.
    Some favourite albums: Symphonies of Sickness by Carcass, World Downfall by Terrorizer, Napalm Death's F.E.T.O., Cryptopsy's None So Vile, all great albums with no bad songs on them.

The problem with the genre is that as a whole it is pretty lowbrow. The lyrics are rarely profound or relevant, except in a few grind songs. Most of the time it's just some dude growling about how he dismembers people and eats them and whatnot in death metal songs.

Black metal is even worse. The cartoon costumes and the stupid shenanigans of the black metal musicians are just sad. And the music sucks. Just one riff repeated over and over with some idiot doing goblin vocals over them. At least death metal delivers just what it advertises, heavy headbangable music. Black metal is just cringeworthy.
  16. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

No, I haven't checked out their latest albums sadly but I think I'll make a point of having a listen! I'm with you - they were always instant faves with me, but I think it was their 4th album that I found it difficult to get into and I just dwindled from there. Their first two were amazing though!
  17. brokenandlonely

brokenandlonely Well-Known Member

Very nice, finally a thread about metal music :D One of the few genres of music that I listen to and the screaming and yelling helps release alot of angry emotions for me. Very theraputic :p A few of my favorite bands from the genre is first and foremost, Slayer and a few of the others are Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Napalm Death, Deicide, Dimmu Borgir, Nightwish, Suicide Silence, Amon Amarth and a few others that I'm sure I forgot to mention.
  18. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Good, very good. I like all kinds of music.. but I usually listen to metal when I'm angry or feeling really low. Does help!
  19. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Ooo dog fashion disco. I saw them with tub ring and karate high school. I enjoyed that show quite a bit.
  20. aviewfromchaos

hahaha! great response. and without metals, there would be no electric guitars. =D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.