Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Viro, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

So I got my math midterm back today. 56%. Wow. I thought I had done so much better. I was in a really good mood before this (got 100% on my bio midterm) and don't understand what possibly could have happened. Math is my anchor, it's never failed me. I got 98% on my provincial exam last year and 99% in the course. I love it.

Now I'm left confused. I've been having a lot of doubt about my place here. Everyone is so rich and carefree. I don't really fit in with anyone that I've met but one person, who I have no way of finding again. I can't go and find anyone else like me because they're all ferreted away like I am. Everyone wonders what I do at night, just walking around by myself. It calms my mind, let's me slow down enough to think things through.

Once again I'm wearing a mask.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would approach your teacher and ask to go over the test to see what he or she wants from you and where you went wrong. Also ask for a tutor perhaps just to get you back on track on his way of doing things hugs
  3. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Math is one of those annoying subjects where tiny mistakes can mess everything up. If your teacher is evil he or she makes the rest of the questions dependant on the previous answer. Math also sucks because teachers can warp grade them by checking to see if you got the right answer. Very few teachers actually check your work.

I think we humans have more in common with each other than we realize. I learned this a couple weeks ago when I was out socializing in an unfamiliar environment. I talked to several people who normally I would have thought would be incompatible with me. However, they were surprisingly compatible. I know, in the past, I never gave people much chance. However, it only takes one thing to bond us. Are there no clubs at your school?
  4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I love my professor. He is such a good teacher, and explains things really well. He was completely shocked when I went in to see him. I was blindsided as well by this grade - I even walked out feeling good. I'm feeling a lot better today. Real conversations with people just seem to upset me nowadays, so I just say hello and make small talk.

I'm not really playing "the game" anymore, so it's not the grade that worried me. It was the loss of confidence.

Thanks everyone for reading.
  5. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I know that feeling to well... midterms and finals are always a trigger
  6. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Remember we all have burn outs and bad days. No one is perfect. Learn from the experience and try to prevent it. One thing I have learned as a computer scientist is that we cannot grasp every concept that is thrown at us. I still do not have a strong grasp of several programming techniques and ideas. They seem pointless and vague to me. Such is life right?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.