Might Be Bipolar

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by OutcastLonerFreak, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutcastLonerFreak

OutcastLonerFreak Active Member

Tuesday I had an appointment with my psychiatrist. I gave her a list of my symptoms for the past couple of months (I hadn't seen her in a long time). I might be bipolar. I have thought I had this for quite awhile because the symptoms fit, plus not long ago my auntie was diagnosed as bipolar. My psychiatrist has not officially diagnosed me yet. I need to keep a mood chart until I see her next, in September. I was put on a new medication though, a mood stabilizer. I'm not really sure how I feel about this or what to think. I always knew that I had more than simply depression and social phobia but I never knew what exactly. Who else here is bipolar? When you were diagnosed did it come as a relief to have a name for what you were going through, or did it make you feel crazy? I'm feeling both of those emotions: relief and crazy. If anyone has any advice or whatever please share them. I would deeply appreciate it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I was somewhat relieved after I was diagnosed because I got a new set of meds that I thought might help me.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I am sorry that you are going through such a tough time. Several members of my family and I, of course, have been diagnosed as having at least mild bi-polar symptoms and throw in 'clinical depression' for my dad (while he was alive) and one of my brother's.

All I can tell you is that the relief was in getting the anti-anxiety meds which my whole family is on. There is no stigma attached to the condition and the meds. should help. Please continue to post when you feel up to it and let us know how the meds. are working for you.
  4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I know a girl that was recently diagnosed with bipolar 2 (but with rapid-cycling). Lithium helps her a lot, she has not been hypomanic at all since a month ago.
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I talked to the psychiatrist in the hospital the last time I was there and he said he has strong reasons to believe I have it. I go see a doctor on the 30th so I get to find out more then. kinda in the same situation you are a bit. I think it'll be a relief to me to put an actual name to what I'm going through to be honest.
  6. OutcastLonerFreak

Thanks for the replies. I've been on the mood stabilizers for 10 days now. How long should they take to work? Like 2 weeks? More? I'm feeling rather impatient. Keeping a mood chart is going alright. I always knew I was a moody person but doing this just makes it even more real. I wish I didn't have to wait until September to see my psychiatrist again. I feel like that's much too far away.
  7. OutcastLonerFreak

How did your appointment go??
  8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

What kind? It depends... Lithium takes time (up to a month), Lamictal as well, but antipsycotics like Seroquel and Zyprexa work immediately *research*
  9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Hi, i'm bipolar and was diagnosed 17 years ago. If you want any advice or to know something drop me a line. I still after all these years use a mood chart as it gives me an indication when my manic/depression cycle is coming and i try to avoid or experience any triggers.

You might find it takes a year or more to get the right medication and the right dosage. I take lithium, lamotrigne and seroquel.
  10. OutcastLonerFreak

Epival. I was on Seroquel for awhile before I was diagnosed as bipolar but it never did anything for me. I've read up on Epival but I don't recall having read anything on how long the medication takes to kick in. I'll have to do more research because I'd really like to know.
  11. OutcastLonerFreak

Thanks. I will definitely keep you in mind if I have any questions about bipolar, especially concerning your personal experience.

At the moment I'm on these medications: Wellbutrin, Buspar, Trazodone, and Epival. The first three don't seem to be working anymore, only really did for like three months. My psychiatrist hasn't taken me off them yet though. I hope she will eventually.
  12. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

well, when i found out-i was surprised. the meds havn't worked. so's i went surfin on the old worldwide web and educated myself about it. hey-hey, now the shrinks ask what i want to try next. considering that everything that was prescribed made me fat AND suicidal-i stopped taking them. no, i just sit and watch the parade pass by. Suits me. oh, ya can get lost in all the forums-i did that for awhile too. i even met some nutty broad from MI who came to stay for a visit. what a mistake-but it worked for me! Turned out she was even nuttier than me. yeah-voices,hallucinations, whole 9 yards. i think she was actually more along the lines of a functional paranoid schizophrenic which is worse than bipolar, by a long shot. anywho, she got hooked up w/ her prince charming and i never heard from her again. good riddance.
  13. OutcastLonerFreak

Ok so I can't find how long Epival takes to work... anywhere!! :sad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.