might be seeing counselor soon...need some advice

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ozzy Manson, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Manson

Ozzy Manson Well-Known Member

after such a long time i might be finally getting some help it seems. i went to visit a previous teacher of mine today who knows about my SI, she is one of my favorite people and i trust her a ton. After i told her i don't see anybody like a counselor or such she said she would get me a number of a person that would help me. I'm going to call them tomorrow, but i'm just kinda nervous, i've never been in counseling really, and i don't know how it works per say and what goes on....i'm also not sure if i should tell my mom i'm going to call them or not, because i really hate talking about my cutting with her, it makes me feel really bad. also if somebody could kind of give me a few ideas on what to say when i first call the person it would be much appreciated! i'm really nervous about all this, but also inside i feel a little relieved that i might finally get out of this hole I've dug myself into.

thank you in advance for any tips, info, or advice you can give to me!
    ~Ozzy

2. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Just call the counselor and say you're were referred by so and so and you want to make an appointment. They probably won't ask too many questions on the phone, but at your first appointment expect them to ask a lot of questions.

3. Ozzy Manson

Ok, that would make sense because they will need to find out more about my situation huh.... Thank you! ( and I love you avatar pic by the way )

Just one more question too for you all, how much should I tell her? For example I smoke cigarettes and marijuana. But I really don't wish to say that because then my parents would probably have to be involved and that would be very bad..

4. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

when i was in counseling i did not admit to pot use right away. i guess if you arent comfortable bringing it up dont, but when asked it might be ebst to be honest. the only way counseling will help is if you are honest. i know its scary, but youll be ok.

5. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

also, depending on your age, a counselor can not say anytihng to anyone else, unless they believe you could cause harm to yourself or another person (not just cutting, like a suicide attempt) they are bound by a confidentiality agreement

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

at your first appt you can ask what her confidentiality policy is, what kind of thigns are private and what she would report to your parents (if anything). therapists take confidentiality pretty seriously so i doubt you'd have anything to worry about, but if you are concerned go ahead and ask. they won't think it's a strange question at all.

7. Ozzy Manson

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the replies! I'm 14, and a freshman in high school, so hopefully she won't say anything. I'm not sure really even if she won't tell anybody about the pot or regular smoking if I will tell her, atleast not for a while, because I am not majorly addicted to it, it just helps me cope with things too. Thanks again!

8. damage.case

I don't know what the laws are regarding minors and counselors confidentiality, but if you're not honest you have a much lower chance of being helped.

9. Ozzy Manson

Hmm... You have a very good point there. I'll look into that, I'm about to call now and I'm really nervous :(

10. damage.case

The first step is the hardest. It's like a swimming pool. Best way to get in is to close your eyes and jump.

11. Ozzy Manson

it is for sure, that's great advice really.... especially for me since i don't want my parents to know i'm seeking help with her....well, i tried calling, but i let it ring only a few times then chickened out and hung up :(

12. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

its a tough step to make thats for sure, if you have a hard time doing it alone is there someone who can sit with you while you call?

13. damage.case

So you just took the first step. That's great. Next time let it ring 1 more time.

14. Ozzy Manson

yeah i guess that was kind of a first step huh......and no i don't have anybody here who could call with me, i'm all alone just me and the dog.....i'll call again in a little while....i'm scared now that i might hurt myself in the meantime, i just got a call saying that my grandma is back in the hospital again :( i'm such a wimp....

15. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

a dog is someone...if it helps try petting your dog while you call...

you made a good first step, i know you can make more

16. Ozzy Manson

that's a good idea, i'll have to see if i can catch her....

thank you for your support

17. Ozzy Manson

well, i finally rounded up the guts to complete the phone call, however i got the answering machine....i did leave a message and not chicken out though! how ever, i am still rather disappointed in myself, i ended up cutting this after noon :(

18. damage.case

Congrats. I'll ignore the cutting and give you a virtual high five.

19. Ozzy Manson

thank you :) i can't believe i actually made the call, becasue i haven't hardly ever made a phone call much, people scare me... *High five*

20. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

congrats :) its a big step keep it up *hug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.