Might you have bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Bipolar disorder can appear similar to depression and is often misdiagnosed as such. This is partially because hypomanic episodes are very difficult to distinguish from normal moods, and you don't normally go to a doctor because you're happy.

The real harm of this misdiagnosis is that treatment for depression worsens bipolar disorder - while appearing a partially effective cure for depression, as it kicks you into a high mood before you crash again.

I wish I could break them down, but I don't know how they're experienced by others.

For me, before being diagnosed as bipolar, I felt many times that the depression had lifted and was so disappointed when it came crashing back.

So, have you had weeks- or months-long breaks from depression, just to have it come back with a vengeance? Have you found unexpected happiness when you expected misery? Keep a mood journal for a while, recording a morning and afternoon mood on a scale of 1 (suicidal) to 10 (ecstatic) every day, see what happens.

If you think you might be bipolar, talk to a psychiatrist and try to get proper treatment.
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Good thread, aoeu!

I kept a mood journal for a while. It was not uncommon for me to have 10 mood changes a day.

I've only experinced hypomania a handful of times and it only last a few hours.

I don't have a diagnosis (for many reasons that i won't go into right now).

Anyway, intersting stuff.
  3. BP#1

BP#1 Well-Known Member

Get your facts straight, Your obviously sick and need your meds adjusted. Normal moods do not resemble hypo manic episodes. Anyone reading this go to http://www.bipolarhome.org/kay.html to see what it's like to be Bi-polar...... And do research. Become your own advocate...
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've looked into this extensively. You're calling me sick because I'm proposing others might have bipolar? WTF. There is a continuum of moods between normal and hypomanic and manic and it's not always easy to tell them apart because there's no gigantic leap between them. Anyone who's gone years diagnosed as depression when they were actually bipolar can confirm it's not always that noticeable (which is more than a few people, and includes myself, my brother, my mom, and my dad among people I know)... Personally, I measure my high moods by insomnia alone because I can't tell whether I'm just happy and energetic or hypomanic. And further, Kay's example seems to be of a mania, and will never be typical because everyone experiences it differently.
  5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

When i'm not medicated, my bipolar is pretty consistent and regular with regards to severity and occurence. My manic episodes last 3-4 weeks followed by 4 weeks of stability and then followed by 6 weeks of deepest depression. On a scale of 1 to 10 and 5 being 'normal', my depression hit 1 and 10 respectively. When I am medicated my moods are still their but are greatly reduced in severity and are 3/4 to 6/7.

I also use a journal/mood diary as it helps me avoid triggers and gives me an indication when I can epect my mood to change.
  6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Steffen. I've been contemplating this for about a year now but I think I am still in denial or possibly just scared.

Maybe one day I'll be strong enough to tell my psych about things I've done in the past. Things I shouldn't have done. But right now I'm too ashamed, it's hard enough admitting it to myself let alone anyone else.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but if the truth is what lies between you and effective treatment, maybe make something up... I've never told anyone the worst things I've done while manic.
  8. ~Claire

I don't think they would believe me. I think that holds me back a lot. Would they not wonder why I didn't tell them about it when these things happened?

Sometimes I convince myself that it's all in my head. It's easier that way, at least for a little while :unsure:.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Any mental health professional understands that there is a stigma involved with it and that sometimes it's not easy to be honest. At worst, if you go in and tell them these things, nothing will happen. At best (and most likely) you may receive proper treatment.
  10. ~Claire

Thanks Steffen. I'll definitely consider telling them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.