Migraine with Aura...Aura WITHOUT Migraine?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Acy, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Not sure this is in the right place, but didn't know where else to put it.

Does anyone get migraine with aura? How often do you get the aura? Is it always followed by a “severe” headache or at least some kind of headache? Does the aura ever recur during the same migraine episode? Do you ever get the aura WITHOUT getting the headache?
    during the headache, or followed by a headache, or with no headache but with severe dizziness.

The auras vary from being just a speck of bright light that disappears in a few minutes to a shimmering and/or growing “splotch” of bright light like the after-image of a camera flash, which stays long enough and disrupts my field of vision so that it’s difficult to see especially out of the one eye.

I’m getting about 1 or 2 bad headaches a month, and several minor headaches in between.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions?

2. Starlite

Starlite Senior Member

Hi Acy

I have migraines. I know what you are talking about with the auras. Mine are zigzag lines and if i look at a person or something it is like half of them is missing. Every time, i mean every time i get an aura, a migraine follows. if you could get your doc to prescribe you something for these, it would be great! Prevention is worth an ounce of cure. I think that is right. Im on topamax, for seizures but it is a migraine medicine too. There are certain foods you should avoid , that can trigger migraines, also flashing lights can trigger them too. cheese triggers mine sometimes, but i love it , the med i am on really keeps them in check though.

Best wishes
    Karren

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Karren, thanks. Yes, I know about cheese (like you, I love it)! And chocolate!

I'll talk to the doc about topamax.

I've had up to about 10 auras in one day, without a major headache. It came a couple of days later. But now when I get a lot of auras in a short time, I start to worry that I'm going to get a headache. And stress is a definite headache trigger for me - so I'm my own problem at that point, LOL! (Yeah, I'll ask about the topamax! :smile:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.