military question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Nyu, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

I know that if you try to commit suicide you can't join the military. Obviously yeah, this is a suicide forum I've been a member of for awhile and I have "tried" before but never been to a hospital or anything or had it on record. I haven't been suicidal for years. Until last year. But I didn't try to commit suicide that time. My husband and I got into a fight and he basically called the police on me and used old texts where i had said I didn't want to live or something along those lines. So the police forced me to go to the hospital where I was put in the intensive care unit for 24 hrs while they accessed me. They could have kept me for a lot longer than 24 hrs but because I basically told them no I wasn't suicidal, and wasn't hurt at all, didn't even have a scratch, and that my husband was just doing it to get me out of the house because he wanted a divorce, they let me go. Is this really going to stop me from doing the one thing I've wanted to forever??

I don't know if it makes any difference but all the paperwork they gave me I said the same exact thing, I wasn't suicidal or depressed and was there because of my husband.

Honestly, Ive been a happy sane person since I got out of the old house with the mom and brother where I was being emotionally abused. But the thought of not being able to do what I've always wanted to...just makes me depressed all over again. :(

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Short of taking a job requiring a top secret clearance the back ground investigation will in no way be thorough enough to uncover this. That being said, yes you would have to blatantly lie on the enlistment documents and physical/mental evaluations checklist and sign where it states false statements subject to up to $5000 fine and 1 year in jail. This is all assuming you are from the US, no clue at all for other countries.

Second part - there is a very very good reason that these are listed as disqualifying conditions. The US military has more deaths by suicide every year then combat related deaths. It can be a very very stressful environment and way of life which may in retrospect make you believe that your previous difficulties were relatively easy burdens to bear. I spent many years in the military, I am speaking from experience, not reading a news clipping. There are a great many things/jobs you could choose from to get a sense of service and fulfillment of duty besides serving in the actual military, not the least of which would be the thousands of civilian support personnel that directly work with the military on posts and bases around the world.

Those are the facts, good luck with whatever decision you come to.

Ben

3. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

Alright, thanks for your reply. I just got done talking to my older brother who was in the Army, and he said to not worry about it, just don't tell anyone, it's none of their business, and I guess if you've ever smoked weed that also disqualifies, but people lie all the time.

4. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

ehh nvm this post

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Smoking weed in past does not disqualify - not even a waiver. Have to pass drug test to join and regularly while in but past use is of no importance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.