Mind if I ask a Question?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Seerbrum, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerbrum

Seerbrum Well-Known Member

See it's been suggested a large amount of my problems are a clear mental disorder.

I don't feel comfortable with that, I also don't feel comfortable with taking pills and basically being in "treatment" my entire life.

But I'm considering at lest checking it out if it can improve my life and make me a bit more stable, but my biggest fear is that the pills will "change" me. Make me different, like I'll lose my edge or something.

Right now I'm extremely self destructive, and most of what I do is "self medicating" to quote every friend/family/social worker I've talked too.

So to cut to the chase, do your think medication has changed you in a inherit way? Was the change good? Is being with out said meds make you unable to function?

I'm curious, if these questions make any feel uncomfortable, feel free to delete the thread.

2. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

the right medications can help some people tremendously, yes. in my
    opinion. the trick is to find out what owrks for you personally. with any
    luck, you have a doctor who is actually concerned about your welfare
    and not concerned with booting you out the door to fit the next
    lab rat into his busy schedule. they're not ALL bad. and yes, sometimes
    meds can work wonders. what has been suggested to you as a possible
    regimen? I mean what meds do they think might help? not that I can
    question any doctor legally, morally or ethically about their prognosis
    or treatment plan. I'm just curious, that's all. for me, prozac was a really
    bad nightmare. it made me much worse. for one of my brothers, prozac
    was and is a miracle cure. different people, different meds. nothing has
    been all that great for me personally, but nothing has been as bad as
    prozac was either. it may be great for you. who knows? there are lots
    of meds. that's why I was curious. none of my business actually.

as far as self medicating goes, it is a worldwide trend. not unusual and
    certainly not new. if you take prescription stuff, you'll likely have to not
    self medicate. that is the general rule. and in many cases it is a good rule
    simply because "compound A" and "compound B" do not mix well to put it
    roughly. anyway, your questions do not bother or offend me. so, theres
    one vote.

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you could be self medicating and be in the same position that you're in when you're taking prescription drugs. personally, psychiatric drugs didn't change me in terms of character, (antipsychotics made me sleepy a lot).

it really depends on the person. the "treatment" that psychiatrists offer is mostly taking medication but there are other types of treatment like counselling which might help you get more aware of why you're self destructive and help manage your feelings better.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

The medication I'm perscribed leaves me at least able to function. I haven't come off it since I started in March of last year. I spent all of April of last year sweating and shaking all day without sleep so I'd hate to go back to that place (being off meds). I don't think they've changed me I think they've helped a lot with my anxiety even though it's still pretty intense. At least I'm at work and not shaking at home on the bed.
    You can always give it a shot and see if it helps. :hug:

5. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

I have the 'change me' fear also. On my third attempt with therapy (not third session, but third therapist.) I was put on prozac. It made me very suicidal. Im told now that it can have that affect on manic depression (bipolar) as its meant for major depression. They offered something else, and I just dont feel secure trusting them. I dont understand how the medication works, and can only assume its like poison. like drinking alcohol poisons your body, to stop your thoughts and calm you. I dont want that.

I dont drink, drug, medicate, etc. I even have anxiety problems with aspirin and sinus medication, cause it just isnt natural, and i just cant process it. I was going to try pharmaceutical work. when thinking about what to go to college for. because I know the latin names, or prescription names for most of the medications, and I know some are made from compounds, like fish oil, and lithium salts. but my paranoia makes school to difficult for me.

6. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

it's hard to know whats real, when your not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.