Mindfulness

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Brian777, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

hello everyone, I've been reading a lot about mindfulness meditation. Numerous books and authors. From what I see the main thing is "being present and accepting what is in the now" ie feelings etc. I've tried it but I must be getting this simple task wrong. Has anyone tried this and do you have any tips on how to get to that state. From what I read, it seems to be the answer to a lot of our suffering with anxiety and depression. Just thought I'd put this out there. Also if anyone can suggest any books or websites that helped them, please post.
    Thank you
    Brian

2. Brian777

I'd also love to hear about your experiences with this, successes and failures, whatever you've experienced would be of interest thank you

3. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

What makes you think you're doing it wrong? What happens when you try to be present and accepting?

I've looked a little bit into mindfulness and meditation. A lot of pain comes from judging or resisting uncomfortable emotions and situations, but remembering to breathe, learning to observe our thoughts and feelings with compassionate curiosity and acceptance can be very calming. In general I just check in with myself throughtout the day and try to do those things though I hear a regular meditation practice is helpful. I mostly got into this stuff through the Zenhabits blog, he has many posts discussing mindfulness in various situations but here's a good intro.

http://zenhabits.net/meditation-guide/

Monk Thich Nhat Hanh has some wonderful books with some guided meditation with mantras, but I wasn't into that type of practice, though the books are great.

http://www.amazon.com/Reconciliation-Healing-Thich-Nhat-Hanh/dp/1935209647

Brian777 likes this.
  4. Brian777

Thanks for the response Jen, I did have a meditation practice I used for several years. However it was a mantra based technique kind of like transcendental meditation without the price tag. I found it much easier when I had something to focus on (the word mantra) I just seem to have difficulty with mindfulness as my mind wanders to thoughts. I'm familiar with Thich Nat Han, have several of his books. I will check out the website you posted. Just basically trying anything and everything to get back to "normal". Also, like Eckhart Tolle and have several of his books and audio books, I wish I could reach his state. Apparently, he was in severe suicidal depression when he had a spiritual awakening, lucky rascal.
    Brian

Jenumbra likes this.
  5. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I just listened to a book on CD called the 4 agreements. The 4 agreements are (1) Be impeccable with your word (2) Don't take anything personally(3) Don't make assumptions and (4) Always do your best. By following these assumptions (and you have to read or listen to the book because these agreements are not as simple as they sound) you learn to let go of all that the world demands of you and then you flow. One important phrase is "when you surrender and let go of the past you allow yourself to be fully alive in the moment." I had brief glimpses of this, meditating in karate (what else are you going to do while the whole class meditates), allowing God to handle my problems etc. But I have lost the ability to trust in the future and that is what is causing me anxiety. I wish I was comfortable enough to let go and trust in the future but I don't. Then I could live in the present.
    PS when I meditated in karate I first concentrated on the fans which took me away from worrying about other things and cleared my mind eventually. Sort of like you meditating. Eventually I was good a meditation. But I lost the technique.
    Good luck. Hope this helps

Brian777 likes this.
  6. Brian777

Hi Cymbele, thank you for your response. That's amazing, I have that same book on audible and others by the same author......I'm always reading and started getting audible books too when they came out. I also used to practice Aikido when I was younger and enjoyed it very much. Yes, I understand the letting go and trust situation, I too struggle with it. I wish I could have the faith I've observed in others, but it's always been difficult for me to release control.....which is kind of absurd, as we really don't have that much control to begin with. As with have you, I've had periods of "peace" "stillness" while practicing my mantra meditation, this was something I practiced for 20mins twice a day, I did keep up with it for over two years and it did help. But slowly, during hectic periods in life I got out of the habit and then stopped. I've tried restarting several times but haven't been able to stay with it. Now with this anxiety and depression, it's more difficult than ever to get back into it. I wish there was an answer to finding peace, I've never felt this afraid in my life, afraid of my own thoughts and feelings. Thank you again for sharing this.
    Brian

7. na-taya

na-taya Well-Known Member

I've got a free mindfulness app called stop breathe and think.........but i am not sure if it is only in Australian. I have it on Android phone......

Sorry if this isn't helpful

Brian777 likes this.
  8. Brian777

Hi Na-taya, thank you so much for that app. I'll check if we have it in Canada. Hope you are doing well.
    Brian

9. na-taya

Your welcome Brian, I hope it is available outside Australia or I'll feel like an idoit for sure.....as for how i am that's don't matter. Let me know if you have any luck finding it please.
    Thanks for takin time out for me!

Brian777 likes this.
  10. Brian777

Hey Na-taya my friend, I was able to et the app you recommended and it's a good app. Thank you so much for suggesting it. It was considerate of you :) you're a good person. Please feel to drop by my posts anytime and say hello.
    It's nice to have friends. Bless you.

11. na-taya

I am glad you find it good and were able to get it☺☺

Thanks for your kind words towards me.

Take care and enjoy your new app☺

Brian777 likes this.