Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Scum, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

‘Mindfulness is a state of present awareness. A relaxed state of mind, in which we are conscious of our experience, including sensations, thoughts and feelings, breathing, and surroundings, all with an attitude of non-resistance, peace and acceptance. This does not imply passivity or lack of emotion. Mindfulness engenders faith in the perfection of the moment, and allows each new experience to be felt fully, without the reactive, self-critical, controlling mind.’ http://www.alternativedepressiontherapy.com/mindfulness-meditation-technique.html

Mindfulness is a skill taught in a variety of therapies and can be very beneficial in helping us cope in distressing times.

Effectively it means existing in, and experiencing the moment, be it your surroundings, your emotions, your situation, the sensations you feel, etc.

Everyone can benefit from learning skills in being mindful, but often it can be even more beneficial when times are hard, for whatever reason.

Here are some tips and things to try in relation to Mindfulness. You never know, they may help. The are very brief and don’t cover the whole lot, just some very basic stuff.

~Stop and step back. Really look inside and work out what emotion you are feeling. Looking at the emotion you are feeling can give you more understanding of your actions and so can then help you act in a way that is appropriate for your emotion. This can be really useful in times of distress, such as if something has upset you in some way. Working out exactly what upset you and what the emotion was (sadness, rejected, loneliness, etc) then you can look for ways to improve the situation you are in.

~Exist in the moment. It can be hard to stay in the present. Often we are thinking of what might happen tomorrow, or in an hour, or during the day, or about what happened yesterday or any other point in the past or future. Existing in the present can help us lose that baggage temporarily. It involves doing only one thing and focusing solely on that. For example, if you are washing up, just focus on the washing up, focus on the temperature of the water, the feeling of the cloth/sponge, the feeling of the plate, what movement you make, just anything in that moment. It can work with any activity and is about essentially fully engaging with your senses on only one activity, not trying to multitask and say wash up and talk to someone, or wash up and listen to the radio, or wash up and also make a cup of tea, etc.

~Pause and think. Mindfulness says we have three states of mind. We have Emotional Mind, which is run by our emotions. We have Logical Mind which is controlled by rational and logical thoughts. Finally, we have our Wise Mind (or as some people call it, Gut Instinct). Both the Emotional and Logical mind have failings and can lead to actions that we may regret. So trying to identify what mind is causing what decision can help to work out if it is the right decision. Mindfulness says that if you go with what your Wise Mind says then you won’t go wrong. Its a slightly different feeling for everyone and encompasses both Emotional and Logical and something else inner (in my opinion only). It is that split second reaction before you add your own baggage to it. Its about learning to try your Gut Instinct/Wise Mind, and learning to trust yourself. So, have a pause before you do anything, work out what mind you are making that decision with, and is it the very best one.

~Try to be non judgemental. The phrase ‘it is what it is’ can be very useful because it takes added emotions and judgements away from any situation. It allows you to experience whatever emotion you are feeling without feeling something else about those emotions. Our own judgments about ourselves can make life much harder than it already is. When you take a step back and think about the emotion you feel, try to just accept that emotion and tell yourself it is ok to feel that (i.e. don’t feel guilty, or sad, or scared by that emotion).

Some very useful links:

2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Yep, did this and helped others achieve it yet there is a part of me, that can't completely let go.....read all the Eckhart Tolle, Hicks, Campbell, Dyer, Kabat-Zinn, Dali Lama, Dharma etc etc books.
  3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I owe my happiness in life to meditation...it is how I found true peace and joy...changed my life truly.
  4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Oooh, I really like the concept of mindfulness.

I was in a DBT group a few years ago, and when I was in hospitalization earlier this year it was DBT-based, and I initially was really skeptical of it mindfulness and meditation. It seemed really hokey and silly, but once I humbled myself to not think I was 'above' meditation, it was really useful!

Right now I'm reading 'Wherever you go, there you are' by Kabat-Zinn and I'm quite liking it! I haven't finished, but I'd recommend it :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.