Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by kyle88, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

Here is an article I found on CNN by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, that has helped me a bit, and that I wish to share...

It's about a meditation form called "minfullness"... and according to the study, it is just as good if not better than antidepressants.

How it's helped me, is it helps you stop thinking about the past, focusing on the present... I think a lot of us have our depression stem from past events... and this meditiation makes you practice thinking about the present. Mainly by focusing on your breathing but it's really great, whenever I find myself thinking about the past I take a deep breathe and focus on my breathing or even things around me (eventually you find yourself thinking about the present more than the past)

There are some videos on youtube too on how to do this meditation, if anyone is interested you can google/youtube it, or just ask me and I will post the links in here...

2. bigpmc

bigpmc Member

I would be interested in trying it. To be honest Ive gotten to the stage where Im willing to try anything
  3. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

Hey bigpmc,

Here is a good intro video on youtube I liked on the subject and have used myself when first starting, it's over an hour and the instructors name is Jon Kabat-Zinn, who has been a big pioneer in the field of mindfullness.

It's a little long, but just give it a try. It's really about focusing on your breathing, and understanding that the past is just a concept.

I'm not going to say that you will be cured from depression right away, but the key to this is to practice and make it repetitive, and eventually it will become a good habit for you and help you with your deperession.

Here are some wikipedia articles on Mindfullness:

Mindfullness (Buddhism)- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(Buddhism)

Mindfullness (Psychology) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(psychology)
  4. Novae Rogue

Novae Rogue Member

I've been practising mindfulness for a while now. I got into it after reading 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. I remember when I first started it I found it dull and boring. But the more I've been doing it, the easier and it has become. I also find myself becoming calmer.

I would recommend meditation/mindfulness to anyone.
  5. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

A lot of what I've heard about mindfulness meditation is similar to so ideas presented in a lot of different forms (e.g. cognitive therapy, all sorts of self-help programs, etc.). Probably because they tend to work.

I found a mindfulness meditation center in Minneapolis awhile ago, and they have an introductory program coming up. I'm going to go to that. I'm not sure if other centers in other cities are similar, but this one doesn't have fees. It runs off of donations. That's nice for someone that that doesn't have any money at the moment.
  6. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

That's great to hear Tim.

The key to this is to be repetitive, because I think some people think think this will be a magic cure and be cured after 1 session, considering the fact that your already depressed, it can be much easier for you to be discouraged faster, but like I said give it a go, and after a month or couple of months, see how you feel.

For me it was always that negative look at things, but down the stretch I found myself being much more calmer, and thinking less negatively on things. I was able to focus better on things I was trying to do too (Homework, work, whatever requires concentration).

I recommend this to anyone who suffers from ADHD, and try this instead of taking pills to help with that.

Glad to see people interested on here, I hope more people give it a try.
  7. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Meditation/mindfulness helps me a lot, I use it instead of AD. Not that I'm cured or anything, but I wasn't with meds either. At least now I don't have any side effects and feels really good to do something "natural" instead of chemistry.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.