Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by IV2010, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

has anyone tried 'mindfulness'?
    I'm about to start learning how to do this and wondered if it's helped anyone?
    it's supposed to train us to stop the thoughts going around and around in the head
  2. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I have read and listened to quite a bit of material that is related to mindfulness and have found those ideas to be helpful. In conjunction with other treatment (therapy, medication, cognitive exercises) my mindset is much, much better today than it was five months ago when I was experiencing depression and suicidal ideation.

I also started participating in a mindfulness meditation course last week. I expect the knowledge and practices I learn from the course to be useful in dealing with negative thoughts that creep up in the future.

In other words, I think it's awesome that you're going to learn this and I expect you will get a lot out of it!
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Wow good for you IV i have never tried it but i hear it does help alot Let me know okay hugs.
  4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

i've been taught it and sometimes find myself doing it. It does help. Its basically to keep you in the moment and to keep your mind from wondering the your worries about the future or the past. It helps me a lot when i worry or am having extreme emotions. I'm glad you are going to do it. I think it will help you as well. :hug:
  5. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Yeah...my psychologist is having me do the mindfulness stuff.

It does help a bit.
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I use as much as I can because it does keep me more in the moment and reduces the overwhelm...J
  7. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Personally for me I don't for any of that stuff. The last nurse I saw when being assessed by Psych Medicine wanted me to look in to it. I am not in to all of that. Give me drugs. I like science!

But, if it works for other people then go for it. People are individuals and what ever works for them.

8. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Helps lots when I can...

Sometimes the flashbacks and intrusions are too much to handle though... It takes time

Good Luck!
  9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I think its super helpful. :) it's def worth giving a try
  10. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

My Psychologist has me working on being mindful...as of maybe November?

pro's: I cut my thoughts off and remain focused on whatever else I'm doing (almost always studying)...I've been generally much better than before...more stable...

Cons: sometimes, I feel like it is the equivalent of bottling up my emotions...therapist says that it is more like procrastinating...express the thoughts in a safe environment (therapy) and keep them away when they are counter-productive and harmful...

Will not hurt to try it out...idk bout you, but I am willing to try anything to make the pain/thoughts go away...

I'll admit, it is less fun not running with my fantasies, but overall quality of life is way better...
  11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i took a 4 month mindfulness and depression course. it helped at the time but i've had a hard time keeping it up on my own, without the regular course to attend. it was good, though.
  12. MarqueeMoon

MarqueeMoon New Member

for anyone into mindfulness, i recommend checking out 'the power of now' by eckhart tolle. quite interesting stuff.

personally i find mindfulness nearly impossible. i practice it all the time, but it rarely works. when it does work, it is amazing.
  13. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

It doesnt work for me, I HAVE to ahve things planned and sorted, if i dont well, yeah.
  14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm not doing well with the mindfulness either..i keep going to sleep half way through it and that's a NO,NO...
    so I keep canceling my appointments! my councelor is not happy!
  15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There's a great deal of scientific evidence showing that meditation and mindfulness and other similar techniques are hugely beneficial to the mentally ill. Meds tend to have bad side effects and limited effects, you'll get better results combining the two methods.

And besides, scientists should be willing to try anything ;)

I've not been keeping up with my meditation, personally. I do hypnosis tapes on the bus to keep my stress levels down, but don't have time while at home to meditate... and I think my stepdad might make too much noise for me to have any success.
  16. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Meditation, i LOVE and i have recomended it to a few on here.
    It wont fix everything, but it will help with centring yourself at bad times, and helps with sleep. helped me to start with so.
    Just mindfulness i cant do
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.