1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirtazapine

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Charliex8, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

How do you even pronounce all these weird medication names? lol

Just looking for a little advice, information and mostly just someone to listen ^_^ I know you guys can't give me medical advice but I'm hoping some of you have some experience with this...

I've been taking Sertraline for my anxiety and depression for 8 or so months. I haven't noticed much difference so my doctor has given me the option of increasing my dose of Sertraline to the max amount or trying Mirtazapine. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give this Mirtazapine stuff a try but I hate change and making decisions. I'm also a little worried about a couple of things...

I've read a little about it but it mostly just confuses me...I read that Mirtazapine can make you very sleepy. I know a lot of anti-depressants have that side effect but is it stronger with Mirtazapine? I already feel extremely tired so I'm a little concerned my energy levels might decrease even more...

I'm a bit apprehensive of taking them at night...I'm used to taking my medication in the morning and it took me a very long time (years!) to remember and get into a routine of it.

Weight gain...I'm already very obese and am already gaining from lack of motivation and not being able to get outside regularly...How common is this side effect? I'm not too bothered about my weight but I'd be lying if I said it didn't effect my anxiety levels at all...

Is there any chance a higher dose of Sertraline might help me? I'm pretty sure I haven't felt any different since taking it...but would more help?

I've tried 2 different kinds of antidepressants so far. Fluoxetine and Sertraline. Should I be able to feel a difference in the way I feel? I know it's not a quick fix but is it obvious when you find a medication that works for you?

2. Angel368

Angel368 Well-Known Member

Hi Charlie, i was on two different anti depressants before trying mirtazapine. I liked it immediately because it helped my insomnia and gave me really nice dreams. I slept a lot at first which was fine for me as hadnt slept well for weeks. It did make me extremely drowsy in the daytime for about a week, but it wore off. It made my thoughts clearer and more rational, and improved my motivation, all of which were desperately needed.

It is hard trying to find the right combination, and i find that the medication that work faster and are stronger come with a lot of side effects. So if you are in work right now, you may want to try increasing sertraline first, then see if it helps before moving to mirtazapine. Good luck

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hi @Charliex8 I am on Sertraline and I find it amazing for anxiety, when I started on it in 2014 I found it made me extremely anxious but after waiting the 6 weeks for full effects it was well worth the wait and my anxiety levels dropped quite a bit, still get bad bouts but the medicine really does help. What dose are you on? I'm on 200 mg. It doesn't make me sleepy. I take it first thing in the morning. It doesn't make me hungry either but in saying that im obese so probably not a good judge of that.

Mirtazapine was the drug that took my depression diagnosis away. It is known as the sedating anti depressant. Will it help you sleep? Yes, most likely so take it just before bed, im sure that's how it will be prescribed anyway. I know of some people on here who have had success with this drug too. I was on 30mg, or as it 45? geez, my memory is getting to me now but the bottom line is it did help. I think the benefits outweigh the risks in opinion, it cannot hurt to give it a try :)

Keep me updated :)

Innocent Forever likes this.
  4. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

@Angel368 - I'm glad you found Mirtazapine so helpful :) I don't work because of my anxiety so being sleepy wouldn't really be a problem. Just a bit worried as I'm always tired anyway and I normally don't have any problems sleeping...That makes me feel a bit better knowing your drowsiness didn't last long. And motivation and a clearer mind is exactly what I need! Thank you for sharing that with me ^_^

@Petal - I'm taking 150 mg of Sertraline right now. If anything, my anxiety has gone up since I started taking it...though that's probably more due to the depression and not feeling like working on my anxiety. I'm glad it's been working for you though! And that Mirtazapine worked so well!

Wow! You both make Mirtazapine sound like a miracle cure! Hehe. I think I will give it a try. I'm pretty sure a little extra Sertraline isn't going to help and I really need to do something to get rid of these thoughts...I'm going to wait until next week to start decreasing my Sertraline. Going on holiday with my sister next week so I don't want any possible side effects ruining our time together. I'll let you know how things go when I start Mirtazapine ^_^

Angel368 likes this.
  5. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

Little update on me taking Mirtazapine.

I decided to wait a little longer before taking it as I had a couple of appointments coming up and I didn't want any possible side effects getting in the way of them.

I took my first dose of 15mg last night. Didn't feel any different with my sleeping but I don't usually have any problems there. This morning though I am definitely feeling very drowsy and wobbly. I get sedated when I go the dentist and I feel just like I do when the effects of the sedation are starting to wear off. Struggling to keep my eyes open and a bit unsteady on my feet. I'm holding out hope that these tablets will work for me though as I've never experienced any side effects from medication before. They are obviously doing something...

Innocent Forever likes this.
  6. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I tried mirtazapine for sleep at one point. My doctor told me that for this medication, the higher the dosage the less sedating it is.

na-taya, Lara_C and Charliex8 like this.
  7. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

Day 4 update on Mirtazapine

Still VERY sleepy and off balance. I'm starting to get fed up with these side effects...If I wasn't so desperate for this medication to work I might have given up by now...I really hope things start to improve soon...Although my suicidal thoughts aren't so strong right now as I'm way to sleepy to even care...I guess that's a good thing...

8. Egg119

Egg119 SF Supporter

I was prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine a few weeks ago. Due to me starting work at 7am, I was told to take them at about 8pm, which I did. The first day I could hardly keep my eyes open within and hour or so of taking it, I slept through my alarm the next morning, was late for work, and felt like a zombie until about 11am. I have no problem with sleeping, it's motivation that is the problem for me, and these seem completely counter productive, so I stopped taking them after 2 days. This is just my experience, others may be affected differently.

9. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN SF Author

I took Mirtazepine for nearly two years and it helped me enormously. Part of my problem was sleep and it did 'knock me out' but I didn't have a sleep hangover from it after - I was perfectly awake and functional during the day. It did help me to gain about 60lbs though which was a very undesirable side effect and is the reason I am avoiding going back on it. That plus my sleep isn't so bad anymore.

I think that It typically takes at least a couple of weeks for your body to get used to a side effect and adjust so don't give up on it after a few days - give it 2-3 weeks at least before you make a decision about it :)

Petal likes this.
  10. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

Usually Mirtazapine tablets will start working after 1 to 2 weeks and after 2 to 4 weeks you may start to feel better. It is important that, during the first few weeks of the treatment, you talk with your doctor about the effects of Mirtazapine tablets:
    → 2 to 4 weeks after you have started taking Mirtazapine tablets, talk to your doctor about how this medicine has affected you.

If you still don’t feel better, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose. In that case, talk to your doctor again after another 2 to 4 weeks. Usually you will need to take Mirtazapine tablets until your symptoms of depression have disappeared for 4 to 6 months.

Its quite common for it to be used in conjunction with other antidepressants, as it can avoid the possibility of drug induced side effects experienced by when the dose of a single drug has been increased. However, any side effects or discomfort experienced, it is important to discuss this with your pharmacist/ doctor as soon as possible.

Freya likes this.
  11. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

@Egg119 - I'm sorry they didn't work out for you *hugs* I don't have problems with sleep either so I wonder if that is why it has such a bad effect on us sleeping too much...I'm hoping they help with my motivation too but like you said, I'm getting even less done right now...I don't have work to worry about though so I'm going to try give them a bit longer to work.

@Freya - I'm glad Mirtazapine worked so well for you! I've never had sleeping problems thankfully. Even though I take my tablet at night, I'm struggling to stay awake during the day...I've heard a lot of people say how amazing it is so I'm not giving up yet. I'm hoping I don't get the weight gain side effect too...I'm heavy enough as it is!

@Ash600 - Thanks for the information ^_^ I have an appointment to see my doctor in a couple of weeks and I'll make sure to tell her all my side effects then. My mum is hoping to talk to a pharmacist tomorrow too.

Freya likes this.
  12. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Mirtazapine helped me back in December 2014 when I was at my lowest point. It helped me get some desperate sleep. It was recommended by a medical expert who helped me alot and to this today I can be any more grateful for this medication. Like others say it took two weeks to kick in properly.

Charliex8 likes this.
  13. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

Day 10 update

I think the side effects are starting to wear off. Still sleeping in late but I haven't felt the need for any naps for the last couple of days. Not so wobbly anymore either. Don't think I'm feeling any different depression wise...but my brain is still a bit foggy and it's still early days. Just glad i'm not so tired anymore ^_^

Angel368, Innocent Forever and Egg119 like this.
  14. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

Haven't done an update in a while...

I've been taking Mirtazapine for just over 2 months now. The side effects (feeling dizzy and sleepy) mostly wore off after a couple of weeks. I'm still very tired and sleeping too much but it's a lot better than when I first started.

As for how I feel?...It's hard to tell...I think I'm feeling a little happier on my good days. I seem to be a bit more talkative...My bad days...still bad...haven't noticed any change.

Last week my doctor increased my dose to 30mg. Like a couple of you guys said, my doctor told me the higher the dose, the less sleepy you feel. It's so strange...but true! After just a few days on 30mg, I was waking up earlier and feeling more awake during the day! Still not perfect, but at least a lot better!

So far, I'm still unsure about Mirtazapine....I'm not expecting a miracle cure or anything...but I was hoping for a bit more improvement than a very slight happier feeling...Of course I'm glad it's helped a little....any improvement is good...but I still wonder if it's the right medication for me...there are hundreds to try...how do I know there isn't a better one? Of course, being suicidal means I'm walking on a knife's edge. One wrong move...Maybe it's better to play it safe and stick with this slightly happier feeling on my good days...but there will always be a what if...

....went off on one there....lol

Anyway, I'm sticking with Mirtazapine for now at least. Hopefully taking 30mg will help more than 15mg...only time will tell....

15. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

At least you have noticed a slight improvement in that you've mentioned that you have felt slightly more happier on your good days and that you tend to be more talkative. It's still relatively early days, the increase in dosage to 30mg may help to improve things better for you. They can also increase to 45mg if need be or as mentioned in an earlier post, they could combine it with another med.

Either way, I hope this will help to improve things for you.

Best wishes :)

Charliex8 likes this.
  16. richard 1998

richard 1998 Well-Known Member

My psychiatrist also gave me mirtazapine (mirtazapinum), but only 8mg to help me sleep (my other anti-depressant venlafaxinum causes it :/ )
    I tried it once but I had severe vertigo the next day, so I stopped... I guess I'll try again today evening.

I am not overweight but I am very concerned about weight gain... This side effect is "very common", meaning that more than 10% of the patients experience weight gain due to the medication.
    Im actually less concerned about gaining the weight in itself but more about losing it again...
    I've always been the kind of person to like sweets and eat a lot of snacks and stuff... and Im scared of gaining weight and then falling back into depression again...

17. Charliex8

Charliex8 SF Creative

@richard 1998 - Mirtazapine should definitely help with sleep. I don't take it for sleep but the lower dose made me very drowsy. It made me very dizzy too but it passed after a week or 2. If you can manage it, i'd definitely give it another go. As for weight gain...I can't really answer that one...I'm massively overweight anyway, and don't bother with checking how much I weigh. Probably should have checked before I started...I wouldn't say it's had a big difference to my weight though...Good luck with whatever you decide x

richard 1998 likes this.
  18. richard 1998

richard 1998 Well-Known Member

Well I've spoken with my psychiatrist last friday. The last time I tried it, I only took 1/4 of a pill and the side effects were already pretty bad.
    He suggested trying 1/8 but that's just practicaly not possible...
    Right now, I just take 20mg temazepamum...
    I just hope I find some kind of long term solution since temapzepamum isnt supposed to be taken for a long time... (Im at 3 1/2 weeks and you're only supposed to be taking it for 4 weeks)

Good luck to you, too

Charliex8 likes this.