1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misdiagnosis?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emoprincess, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emoprincess

emoprincess Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was diagnosed with severe depression about 5 years ago, and have since been Fluoxetine, which has never made much difference to be honest. The past few months though, I have been thinking. I've become increasingly irritable. Sometimes I just can't sit still. I have to be doing something productive, and I can't stop talking. I have these moments quite frequently now, as well as my major depressive episodes. My friend is suffering from BPD, and she's also worried that I may have it too. Is this possible?

If so, how do I go about seeing a doctor for a re-diagnosis? I don't want to go and see one, only for them to patronise me because I have a possible diagnosis.

Thank you in advance

2. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

It defintly possible you have been misdiagonised and a second opinon never hurt anyone. I have been misdiagoinsed once maybe even twice in my life, my first diagnosis was for common depression and I went through the basic pills the give, prozac, fluoxetine all thoese stuff to no avail (although some make me fell better then others). Ten years later I moved out of state and the doctor I was seeing came to the conclusion that I never was depressed, rather I had a very bad anxiety disorder, I was giving new medicine that worked better then the depression meds. Now I moved again and my medical doctor I am seeing says I dont have depression or anxiety but rather I am low on a needed chemical in my body testrone. I don't fully buy this explenation but the medicne to replace the chemical is doing wonders for my mood so who knows. I think doctors tend to be right more often then wrong but they can still be wrong, in any case a second diagnosis is always good, especially if it will give you piece of mind.

3. emoprincess

emoprincess Well-Known Member

Thank you Mordeci :)

4. Evixen

Evixen SF Veteran

It's very possible. I was diagnosed first with BPD (Borderline Personality), then MDD, then Bipolar, and now Schizoaffective. So it's very possible to be misdiagnosed. I would definetly talk to your doctor if you're worried about it.

5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

I've got a horrible diagnosis-it will follow me everywhere I go. Unfortunately it is being used by the pshrinks and therapists to make money off my insurance and has nothing to do with who I really am! I am a cash cow in their eyes. Misdiagnosis-you bet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.