missing messages in chat

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Petal, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am not seeing what everyone types into chat (about half of it). I have just asked the chat folks and I am not the only person with this issue. Any ideas brainiacs?

2. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I have noticed chat get's temperamental when there are multiple SF windows open. Either 2 tabs or a detached chat & an open tab. It's like chat messages only appear on the one I am viewing... or something? I am not sure the exact criteria.

If I only have 1 tab open, then things seem to work as intended... but this is a frustration as I tend to browse th internets with 2,394 tabs open at a time.

3. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

randomguy9 likes this.
  4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

There is definitely an issue with having more than one tab of SF open at a time. Makes it a bit of a pain to use the forum and chat at the same time but it will solve your missing messages issue if you make sure you just have one tab open with SF on. I don't get any missing messages if I do this.

randomguy9 likes this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I should have mentioned in my original post that I am only using one tab because ben told me ages ago that multiple tabs cause issues so that is not my problem but thank you anyway :)

6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I do not know what is causing your issue then Lynn - it is not a problem I have had myself - perhaps if you would let me know who else is having the same problem I can speak to them and try to narrow down a commonality.

7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I have this problem too.

8. Sea Sparkles

Sea Sparkles Well-Known Member

I'm having this issue as well. Win 7, firefox.

9. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

There is not an issue in chat unless you have multiple tabs open. If you have multiple tabs open, detach the chat box and there will be no problem. You are not missing messages, messages go to one tab or another, but for some reason do not go to all tabs with multiple tabs open and has been that way since this chat was installed to replace the chat that did not work for most people due to it working on a Java platform.

1. If chatting, chat only in with one tab open.
    2. If need multiple tabs open for SF , detach and close the chat you are using and turn chat off on the browser.

I will get new photos put up in the chat tutorials in the near future.

If anybody is having this problem with a single tab then you will need to put up screen shots so we can see what the issue is. The other only possibility is the limit of 3 messages per 10 seconds- in which case the messages are not lost , they are not being sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.