Mitchell Heisman's 1905 page suicide note...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Nemo, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/bizarre_last_writes_for_suicide_2cxWiC3P3mLZoYMAdMh6jP
    ^^
    a news article that sums up what he did

http://www.suicidenote.info/
    ^^
    his website with the suicide note on it.

I know this happened last September, but, being in the UK, I don't hear about this stuff that goes on in America.
    I was actually searching around for reasons for and against writing a suicide note, and stumbled accross it, and I really don't know what to think about it.
    I mean, I personally wouldn't write a suicide note this long, if I even wrote one at all. However, in the article it said he spent a while on it, so maybe that would be a really good way to reflect on your life, or at least the way you feel, which you might then learn something from.
    what are your thoughts?
    I haven't read the actual suicide note, but if you have, what did you think? Did it give any points that made you refer to your own life and/or death?
    We are (mostly) all here, on suicideforum.com, because we've thought about suicide at some point or another... would you write a note to pass on? Would you write more than one? what do you think a suicide note is meant for?
    Many people write one to sum up why they did it, some write one or more to family and loved ones so the pain from their loss might be eased. What do you think?

2. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

I think the main reason of a suicide note should be to bring some kind of closure to those who are left behind.

3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

that's a good point
    but what could you say to someone in that situation (loved one dying by suicide) that would actually make them feel better? i've found most people are inconsolable until they find peace in themselves.

it's strange to see that most of mitchell heisman's suicide note is a collection of his thoughts on the world/society and things that happened a long long time ago. it's not even very personal.
    i don't know what made him kill himself, but from the things that he's written about in his note (well.. book), it would seem he killed himself due to his view on how bad a place the world is, even though it had no direct impact on his life. obviously i don't know him, but if that were the case, i personally don't think it'd be a good reason to kill oneself. not that there are many good reasons.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

This is what happens when people think they're being epic and that the whole world will stop to read their last will, and try to make their death appear as some sort of great sacrifice that will change the world.

Do people even read dead people's suicide notes anymore and take the contents of them with more than a grain of salt for a couple of days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.