Mixed News

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by KathyLynnKilroy, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KathyLynnKilroy

KathyLynnKilroy Active Member

Our landlord has a really pretty name. However, he is not on record as owning the house, so people were telling us that because he wasn't the homeowner on record we can't get help with our rent.

Well, we did some research. The homeowner of record, the landlord's mother, died in January of 2006. We read the obituary, copied it, and e-mailed it to all relavent persons. We also have a copy on our hard drive, and may soon have a hard copy of the e-mail.

Now, this one sits here with the paper showing the owner on record, and a copy of a court document that shows that the landlord can in fact manage the property.

When we return to that place asking for help, they will have a hard time using those arguments again.

This one doesn't fight pitched battles, unless they're pitched in our favor. Nor does this one fight fair because fighting fair means you can lose all too often.

We guessed that we could not get the documentation from our landlord. So instead of trying, we called the city assessor's office or something, and asked what happened to a house if the owner of the home died.

They told us that it would be put on "probate" status and that people had to fight for it, basically, and it could take two or three years to fix it. We asked if there was a document on it, and gave them the name of our landlord. Sure enough, there was.

We went to the courthouse and obtained a copy of that document.

So, one thing fixed. Many more to go.
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Good. All you can do is tackle it in baby steps. And that is what you are doing. Well done. I hope other things get sorted out too.
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am glad to see you are getting a handle on a few things. If you can get yourself some more time to try and figure out the next step, it will help immensely. Keep us posted on how things are progressing. I don't now the laws in Florida as each state is different, but do check into some sort of housing help. Section 8 housing may be available in your area, I don't know. Best wishes. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.