MMA and combat sports

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by suicide_ideation, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I'm against this. Two person hitting themselves. Our bodies are supposedly Temples, <mod edit: bunny - insulting> People think I'm stupid and I should know something. I'm not close-minded, I've considered and covered everything in my thinking, and I've obviously dismissed it, if I don't agree with it. Why do I dismiss it? Am I bias? Do I go with my emotions, blablabla. I weigh these things, too. I do the ''impartial spectator technique'', where I distance myself from my emotions, and think objectively. I try to make a good balance, all the while remaining radical if I please. Anyways.

See, per example, I understand in some ways it's a sport, a discipline, or whatever. So is throwing punches at a cow to see who can knock it down with the least punches. Just because something is consensual, does it make it right? Or does it have to be legal? Even if most disapprove?

Anyways, I watched a fight, between some american and ukrainian, I think. And the American died, 2 days, after, result of his injuries. Now try to rationalize that, if you're a sociopath. Do it, but remember, whatever you say to me, it's nothing, cuz i'm God-like. Ur voice in other words, isn't as loud as mine.

In boxing, also, many have died, what kind of sport is this, punching another person in the face??

Now of course some will say in football, people have died. People have died walking, so what?

The very nature of this sport is to hurt ur opponent as hard as u can. Evil, evil and evil.

Yeah, go ahead and type down how u know something i don't. Blablabla.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007

2. Hey suicide We are both under moderation!!! <3 Anyways about MMA, yes both people are there to make sure the other one is unable to move, but not to kill them as that may what it seems to look like... Yes you could kill them and win hahaha, but that's primitive to just go in there and kill someone, there are rules to MMA...Here are ways to win,Submission by:
    Physical tap out.
    Verbal tap out.
    2. Technical knockout by the referee stopping the contest.
    3. Decision via the scorecards, including:
    Unanimous decision.
    Split decision.
    Majority decision.
    Draw, including:
    Unanimous draw.
    Majority draw.
    Split draw.
    4. Technical decision.
    5. Technical draw.
    6. Disqualification.
    7. Forfeit.
    8. No contest.

Here are the rules:
    . Butting with the head.
    2. Eye gouging of any kind.
    3. Biting.
    4. Hair pulling.
    5. Fish hooking.
    6. Groin attacks of any kind.
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    8. Small joint manipulation.
    9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    13. Grabbing the clavicle.
    14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
    17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    21. Spitting at an opponent.
    22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
    24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    30. Interference by the corner.
    31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

It's not just go in there and give hell, it's alot more technical then it appears to be, and probably the most physical demanding "spot". There are weight limits to make it fair, and not just a complete massacre over your opponent
    Lightweight - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs.
    Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs.
    Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.
    Light Heavyweight - over 185 lbs. to 205 lbs.
    Heavyweight - over 205 lbs. to 265 lbs.

I would not expect someone who knows nothing of the sport to think what you said, bu hopefully this enlightens you.

3. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

So don't box.
    Ignatius, is it really worth it to hate lots of things?

4. I made typos in there hopefully you get the point tho...

5. Hey, Despised, I was a huge MMA fan. Pride and UFC. K1, etc. Even boxing.

CroCop is my guy!!!

Anyways........ Ignatus? You mods are pissing me off, you know that? I take time to type up long texts, and then you decide for no reason to not post it. And you tolerate this guy calling me Ignatus, for the 10th time.

Why you circling around the point, monkey. I was talking about morals. Get out of here. Stop annoying me.

6. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

Dude its all about money,as long as it brings profit it will exist. You said you are against this and now you say CroCop is your guy,sorry but i don't get it. You are agains but actally you support those kind of sports by paying for that to watch it. If you don't like it and if you hate capitalism so much don't be part of it.

7. Ummm MMA pro fighters don't make that much money hate to break it to you!

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Please don't forget that the reason most of these people get into martial arts to begin with is the fact that they want to learn self-defense against attackers. What's wrong with that? If I were attacked, I would want to be able to defend myself. How can you learn self-defense without sparring of any kind? What about kung-fu? Kung-fu requires a mental, spiritual and physical balance, as do many of these disciplines. Without actually testing your skill against another, you can never really master self-defense.

9. :hug: Anastasia

10. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Ignatius, if I have irritated you. and mods, I'd like to see the post.

11. Monkey, sorry, I didn't know what Ignatius meant. I thought it meant ignorant? Does it mean ignorant? I don't hate anyone on these boards.

12. Esmeralda

:hug: right back at ya :)

13. Raiden

Raiden Guest

Well, it's their choice to enter MMA.Same as other sports like wrestling, they enter, they get paid etc. Why should we be against it? it's not like they're killing each other or anything. Also, could I'm confused about your second post. You're against it yet you support it? :unsure:

14. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I love boxing, but wrestling and UFC don't really interest me at all. Entertainment wrestling is too fake, and real wrestling is too boring. UFC is too violent - paying people to fracture their bones and spill blood all over a floor is disgusting. I'm not opposed to others taking part or watching, I'm just not really a fan myself.

Then you have boxing - a gentleman's sport, in my opinion. There are clearly defined rules, thickly padded gloves, a referee, and professionals to care for and examine fighters in between rounds. Boxing has its origins in Ancient Greece, it was an important event in the Olympics. Winning usually has a lot to do with speed, reflexes, strategy, and coordination - strength is not actually as important as most believe. Anyone who trains hard enough can develop effective punches, but it takes intelligence to develop a useful approach against a variety of different opponents in the ring. More injuries and deaths actually occur in other sports. Football, wrestling, martial arts, bicycling, skiing, soccer, skateboarding, roller blading all have more instances of harm or fatal injuries than boxing does.

My favorite division is the heavyweights, though there are a lot of legendary boxers in the lighter divisions. I'm not necessarily a heavyweight fan because they're the "biggest and baddest", but due to the fact that a wider spectrum of fighters fall into this range. This chart will show you what I'm saying, each division is very limited in those permitted to participate, until you reach heavyweight (200+). What this means, is that we get to see some very interesting bouts. A 28 yr. old 250 lb. 6'6 boxer could battle a 37 yr. old 207 lb. 5'10 boxer, for example. It sounds uneven initially, but if the smaller boxer is more experienced, faster, and more confident - he can slip under the big man's jabs and unleash some powerful hooks and uppercuts. Anything could happen! Ruslan Chagaev's win over Valuev is proof that size really shouldn't matter as much as some people think. Still, you have to draw the line somewhere - which is why the lower divisions exist. Otherwise someone could literally fight an opponent twice their size. Boxing has room for all types of people. Whereas in a sport like basketball, you're usually at a major disadvantage if you're short due to the nature of the game.

Favorite boxer? As a fan, I'm actually still too new to the sport to say. Favorite heavyweight? Again, I'm not sure, there are so many I admire. Some of the most incredible fights I've seen so far are from the 60s (especially Ali) 70s (Foreman) and 80s (Tyson). In the 90s era, I'm most impressed with Lennox Lewis. I only wish there was more footage available of legends like Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano. If anyone's interested, I can provide links to some of my favorite fights available on Youtube.

15. Esmeralda

Sorry, repeat. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  16. Esmeralda

Greco-Roman wrestling is awesome. The lightweights tend to have more technique and skill, and if you understand the rules clearly, it is a fascinating sport. This too is one of the original olympic sports. Skill, strength and endurace are all required.

I like boxing as well,but the rules are so confined that it takes away from the sport a bit. And lately, pro-boxing has become extremely corrupt. Tyson used to be great, small reach, but that guy could pack a helluva punch, that is, when he wasn't biting people's ears off.

17. protonaut

I forgot to mention another impressive heavyweight of the 90s and 00s eras. Any of you who are boxing fans will surely know the name: David Tua. Often seen as a Samoan version of Tyson, Tua is known for his devastating left hook. This classic fight between Tua and Ruiz should give you a good idea of his power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AVh5TKS80M

There are a lot of young undefeated heavyweights emerging from both Europe and the U.S. in recent days, but none of them look capable of maintaining their records for long, in my opinion. I'd personally love to see a powerhouse like David Tua or Samuel Peter put an end to their winning streaks. Wladimir Klitschko has been mopping up the mess quite well, but he doesn't seem to bring the excitement to the sport that was achieved by legends like Ali and Foreman.

Okay, I'll admit it. I like big punchers the best. ;p George Foreman is one of my heroes, look what happened when they threw big George Foreman and smokin' Joe Frazier in the same ring for the first time back in 1973. Remember, Joe Frazier was thought to be invincible at the time after being the first to take out Muhammad Ali. He had 29 wins and 0 losses at this point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEuGaRp9l8

Marciano holds the record for the longest undefeated streak by a heavyweight and for being the only World Heavyweight Champion to go undefeated throughout his career. (49 wins, 0 losses) I only hope to see another great champion in the 21st century that will conquer this old record, make history, and bring back the glory and excitement of boxing to our new generations. Easier said than done.

Here are some currently active high-ranking heavyweights well known for their unblemished records. (at least at the time of this post)

Eddie Chambers (30-0)
    Alexander Dimitrenko (27-0)
    Roman Greenberg (27-0)
    Ruslan Chagaev (23-0)
    Chris Arreola (22-0)
    Sultan Ibragimov (22-0)

18. protonaut

UPDATED records as of 5/5/08:

Eddie Chambers (30-1)
    Alexander Dimitrenko (28-0)
    Roman Greenberg (27-0)
    Ruslan Chagaev (24-0)
    Chris Arreola (23-0)
    Sultan Ibraimov (22-1)

So Eddie and Sultan are no longer unbeaten, no surprise there. My prediction is that Chagaev and Dimitrenko will both lose for the first time in their next few fights. Chazz Witherspoon (undefeated so far) will fall in his next fight.

Roman Greenberg & Chris Arreola will continue their winning streaks for the time being.

David Haye will probably do well in the HW division until he faces the top ranking contenders, then he'll be retired.

Oh, and someone is going to shock the world by giving Floyd Mayweather his first defeat sometime in the next two years.

Start placing your bets now. :unsure: :laugh:

19. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I'm fully aware that you were a troll (before you were banned) so I'm not gonna comment on the utter retardation of your posts in this thread.

I think it's easy to tell by my username and my avatar that I'm a big MMA and combat sports fan so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think it's actually been scientifically proven that boxing is more dangerous than MMA. The aim of the game in boxing is to punch eachother repeatedly in the head to a decision over 12 rounds, continual punches over that duration of time rattles the brain and causes far more damage than getting arm barred or heel hooked. Pride (and now DREAM and Sengoku) in Japan is a little more dangerous not only because they allow soccer kicks and stomps to the head of a downed opponent, but also because the referee's are a little too hesitant to step in and stop a fight when it obviously needs to be stopped. In the UFC, the referee's are the complete opposite and are far more safety concious. The UFC famously boasts that there's never been a single death or serious injury in it's history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.