Moammar Khadafy is dead, Libya is free

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

SIRTE, Libya -- Ousted Libyan despot Moammar Khadafy is dead, a Transitional National Council (TNC) official confirmed to Sky News on Thursday.

"Khadafy is dead. He is absolutely dead ... he was shot in both legs and in the head. The body will be arriving in Misratah soon," media spokesman Abdullah Berrassali told Sky News, as an image purported to show the bloodied face of Khadafy was released

An anti-Khadafy fighter said Khadafy had been found hiding in a hole in the ground and had said "Don't shoot, don't shoot" to the men who grabbed him, Reuters reported.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her department was still attempting to confirm the reports.

"[We] can't confirm Khadafy's capture or death but if it's true, it's a big sigh of relief," Clinton told FOX News White House correspondent Wendell Goler, who is traveling with her in Pakistan.

"One more obstacle removed but we still have a steep climb ahead," Clinton added.

NATO confirmed its aircraft struck pro-Khadafy vehicles near his hometown of Sirte on Thursday morning, but was yet to confirm the former strongman's capture or death amid conflicting reports emanating from inside Libya.

FOX News sources in Sirte said revolutionary fighters followed up with a ground attack on the convoy after it was hit by NATO missiles. It was unknown if Khadafy was part of the convoy.

Some fighters in Misratah claimed that Khadafy was killed during the NATO attack, while others claimed he was killed after a firefight and was found in a trench inside Sirte, FOX News reported.

Libyan TV reported that the head of the TNC, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, will soon address the nation. The reports of Khadafy's capture and possible death already sparked jubilant scenes in Sirte among TNC fighters and in the capital, Tripoli.

Libya's new rulers had said that only once Sirte had fallen would they declare the country's liberation and begin the transition to an elected government after 42 years of Khadafy's iron-fisted rule.

(warning link has Khadafy's, "death photo)

Read more:
  2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Now to see if they successfully adapt a democratic model
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

If only they spelled Gadhafi correctly.
  4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Well-Known Member

As an African, I can honestly say that this is awesome news, this continent has too many tinpot dictators on it, Uncle Bob Mugabe must go next.
  5. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

So he's finally gone, good riddance, i just hope the rebels don't parade his dead body around the streets, just bury/burn the body and forget about him and concentrate on rebuilding Lybia.
  6. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

He aint dead, he hasnt been chucked in the sea so he cant be dead
  7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure their is an accepted western translation for his name, would be nice if the papers could settle on one though.
  8. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member
    watch the video and form your own opinion.
    not everything he did was bad. i am not pro-ghaddafi nor do i care he is not around anymore but the way he has come to an end i find barbaric. in the video's posted off his last few minutes i still see a defensless human being in pain who is being beaten and butchered. is that the new and free libya ? NTC had a chance to do something which according to them never happend in the history of Libya, giving people a fair trial. he should have been brought to the hague and deserved a trial. not only is he dead but he toke alot of information with him to his grave (assets, foreign bankaccounts and much more information we will never get to know).
    about libya being free i am not to sure about that. there are ten thousands people currently in libya who are heavely armed, will they return the weapons to the new goverment now the fight is over ? what will come next ? civil war ? islamic state ? time will till, this chapter is far from over
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  9. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I agree. He was captured alive too!
  10. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

He was never going to be captured alive by militia who think he's a monster, while being handed over to the ICC would have looked great to legitimise the new government they couldn't really have controlled what happened to him.

And with him dead lets hope that the rest of his loyalists will lay down arms and they can start building Libya into the nation it should be.
  11. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

The video isn't crystal clear in that it dosen't show how bad is wounds were. My guess he was going to die either way by the amount of blood and what appeared to be bullet holes in his head on the death picture when his body was cleaned but I could easily be wrong. There are conflicting reports about how he died but I am sure the NTC fighters did not have is safety and health in mind when captured, nor should they be expected to, its a diffrent culture and they aren't trained in a strict military system like some western goverments. Nurimberg was not going to happen, at most he would have been tried in Libya and executed very quickly after that. Saddam was killed quickly and that's with the Americans capturing him, now take that knoweldge and imagine a dictator just as brutal being captured in a time of war, during a gun fight, by the people he oppressed. I am not saying the they were right to parade his dying corpse in the street, but I see the reasoning behind it. As far as the future of Libya goes, reguardless of how he died, his rule was a cult of personality and it will defuse a little tension, but they have a long way to go, fighting will contiue with tribes in the south that allied with Ghadaffi out of necesity. I am confident that a democracy can be set up in Libya in the near future, but will it represnt the entire country that remains to be seen.
  12. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Completely agree. Even the media thought and reported chances of him being captured alive were slim to none from the start. Not to mention, he could have easily of died in the French blast that blew up his convoy while trying to escape and very nearly did and now everyone is saying OMG how did that happen?! :eek:hmy:

It will be funny watching everyone now trying to shift the blame over his death. :dry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.