Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by HappyAZaClaM, Jan 16, 2009.

1. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

in my personal opinion, so called "moderation" is an over used ineffective
    ineffectual negative approach to problems that occur between a given
    form member and another given forum member.

it is my personal opinion that moderation solves nothing and causes great harm.

that is my opinion. the end. by henry gibson.
  2. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

on the other hand, who gives a rats ass including me :laugh: own special little diary about moderation.

remember, in all things, moderation. oy.....
  3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I was under moderation for 2 months Billy and it really sucked. You can't go into the chatroom, send or receive pm's and you can't post messages in the forums unless they're approved by a moderator. I'm on forum access only so I still can't go into the chatroom, but it's better then moderation. I also think that disagreements between members should be worked out instead of putting someone under moderation.
  4. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Trying to work things out is always the first method used but when talking things through doesn't work, you have to try something different. Other forums just ban people outright but I think that's going too far in most cases.
  5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I was under moderation several times in the beginning of 2007 and have been under moderation from February 2008 until somewhere after the summer of 2008. I'd say that's a long time, but unlike you two (who seem to disagree with the concept of being 'under moderation'), I think it's a good thing.
    I'm not saying I was happy with it. Far from it. And of course it feels like you have to live under the shadow of mistakes you made in the past. Of course you can't really improve your behaviour if you don't exactly get the chance, but still I think the whole Moderation concept is good. As it's a way to protect other members.
    I don't know why the two of you were/are under moderation, and I do not want to know, as that's something between you and whoever decided to put you under moderation. But I can understand why i was under moderation
    (though I find it a bit ... harsh that even after being banned for 8 months, there still is a 'need' to be under moderation for another 8 months, as if someone doesn't exactly learn from being banned in the first place. But that's besides the point, and in the past.)

Anyway, I think the moderation concept is a good thing, IF being used properly, and only in necessary cases. But then again, I do not know why people get banned, I do not have all the facts about people and situations, whereas staff (mostly) does. I generally trust staff's decision to be the best decisions in situations. If that makes any sense at all.
  6. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

So good to see you back mate.:smile:
  7. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

welcome back !
  8. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I always wondered why the words "under moderation" appear under the names of those being moderated. Why not just inform them privately and leave it at that? Why broadcast it to the entire forum? Is that part of the punishment, having the shame and embarrassment of having everyone know about it? Seems unneccessary to me.
  9. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

of course it is punishment alex. very much like nuns whapping people with
    rulers. small, weak minded little people have to close ranks and circle the
    wagons quickly in order to feel they are maintaining control. control of
    what? a sterile fear filled environment where no one dare speak out
    for fear of being 'under moderation' ?? yes. that's what. like their own
    little country :)

and of course as any good true believing mod will point out, it is not
    a free speech forum. so, there ya go. a disclaimer and everything :laugh:

"let's commence ta moderatin, Jethro!"
  11. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

no, it is not
  12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Maybe carrying the shame of being under moderation is part of the punishment? :unsure:
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Moderation is not a punishment. It is a preventative tool to avoid problems. I got my moderation extended voluntarily, indefinitely.
  14. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

it's underneath the username to inform other members, so they don't go like " :blink: wtf? " when a post of someone appears out of nowhere, above other posts that have already been read. Because there aren't always staff members online, and thus sometimes it may take a few hours before a post is approved.
    i think that's the reason anyway. And that way people see that they can't PM a member or said member isn't in chat, not because they don't want to, but because they simply can't?

I don't think it's something to be ashamed off. Plenty of members have been under moderation in the past, it's not something to be shunned for. Now THAT would be rather ridiculous. But that's just my opinion. :dunno:
  15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

opinion duly noted. your OPINION.

I should not have made this thread. I can of course, stop reading it,
    can't I? :laugh:

yes, good idea.
  16. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

A few months back we did change the settings so that members under moderation wouldn't have the "under moderation" in their title, but it proved too confusing for staff and other members so we changed it back. The title isn't intended as a punishment.

I don't think any mods are here to control this little 'country'.. we're here simply to keep it as safe as possible for members. A lot of people find this forum while they're in crisis, so need to make sure they're not greeted by people sharing methods (which would get the site shut down completely) or telling others they're all c**ts and should die!

I hear the views stated in this thread about moderation and please believe me when i say that i (and probably all staff) do not enjoy putting people under moderation. Members are normally given warning where appropriate and their moderation status is reviewed regularly.
  17. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

whatever. I said I wish I had not started this thread. so, since I cannot
    use the ignore feature on staff, I'll just try to avoid you like the plague.
    have a special day. members are not treated the same as other members
    and anything you try to say to refute that is quite simply a lie. a falsehood.
    I know it. YOU know it and there is no point in debating it.
  18. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

sorry. I don't mean to be so disagreeable. I wish someone had simply
    deleted my posts when I was ranting at the other member with whom
    I had the disagreement. maybe it's not always possible to do that.
    what John said about 'trying to work things out; is an ideal situation
    if possible. I am sure that is what he meant. I do not remember it
    that way. but then, I was a little mad :smile:

yes, a little mad I guess you could say. so, anyway, I just wanted to say
    I am sorry for being so intentionally disagreeable. I still think moderation
    is ridiculous. but, it's not my forum and I won't bring it up
    again. you can close this or not. up to you. actually I would prefer for
    it to be closed. thanks.

seeing as how I am "under moderation" isn't it a simple task to prevent
    another "moderation rant" if I should choose to post one? or rather,
    attempt to post one? yes, a simple task. ok then.
  19. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I actually enjoy your rants Billy. :smile:
  20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

I think maybe I can understand what you mean. to keep you from losing
    your cool, so to speak? I don't think we agree on a lot of things. but it
    doesn't make any difference. I had wondered why you were under
    moderation. I never see you really go over the top. whatever. in retrospect,
    I can see what you mean about it being a positive thing, rather than a negative one. anyway, thanks for your post. and to everyone else too. thanks.