Modern day slavery?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kid B, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

Man jailed for six-and-a-half years for keeping vulnerable man a slave

It is staggering really. This story was on the news last night and caught my attention - I would like to know what others think? It raises questions like how could this ever happen of course but also is this happening elsewhere with such treatment going undetected? I don't think so, thankfully this type of crime is very rare.

2. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

I was a slave to sin for 43 years. That was hard labour, but I was unaware until I was set free. It was with 20/20 hindsight that I discovered my captivity. Until the light shined I didn't know I was in darkness. I did have my suspicions, but what can a slave do?

3. ItsAllBS

ItsAllBS New Member

Modern day slavery is still very much alive and kicking. New version of the old scene. It's 2nd only to the drug trade in illegal activity. Over 29 million of our brothers and sisters are enslaved today....more than any other time in history. Its terrifying. Just search ' slavery today in America' and hold on. New techniques and technology can make it easy for a person to control another.

4. Aether

Aether Well-Known Member

But what if the guy who has been kept as a slave would have grown to be a serial killer if he hadn't gone through all of that shit? Would this crime be acceptable in that case?