Molested as a Child

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by orual, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orual

orual Member

I was molested by my father as a child and for years told myself "It wasn't that bad" "It only happened a few times" "You need to just get over it". I thought I functioned fairly normally in life. I guess I never really did, saw a counselor for a time many years ago and felt like it confirmed that I WAS functioning normally. Now I am in a stable relationship, sober for 13 years, and my abuser is dead. All sorts of panic feelings and sexual problems in the marriage. I know I need to finally address and resolve this. I feel so alone and weak and helpless. I want to run from the only relationship that has ever been good b/c I don't want to face this. I want to be numb I want to stop. I just want to...stop.
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this has happened to isnt easy when one has been abused...I wasn't sexually abused but I was abused by my father and being in relationship with men is very hard for reminds me too much of when I was with my dad....

anyways I think that you should talk to a professional specialized in sexuality so that they can maybe help you adress certain issues...also talking with your partner can go a long way...communication is the key to a healthy relationship...

I also wanted to say that many couples have a few problems when it comes to intimacy without having been abused, so don't feel alone...relationships aren't perfect, they grow, shape and change as you and your partner get closer...being in a relationship is a learning experience that will go on for as long as the relationship lasts...

:) take care:hugtackles:
  3. orual

orual Member

Thanks for your reply. Just feeling isolated have an appt w/ a counselor but not for a couple weeks.
  4. collegedude250

collegedude250 Active Member

Hey, I understand a little of how you feel. I was molested, but not by anyone I know and not by just one person. I am just now trying to open up about it and idk how it's gonna go, but I know that things will work out one way or the other, I can only hope that it involves me getting better. I have yet to be in a real serious relationship, I guess I'm afriad to let people close.
  5. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I was abused by my father, and I continued the dysfunction in my marriage...

Only after the deaths of both the perpetrator and my mother, who I wanted to protect from the truth, was I strong enough to face the past and get the help I needed.

You are lucky if you have a good caring relationship. I agree that commuication is the key, and family counseling is available in addition to the individual help you need to get through the past...

I applaud your courage!!!!

Take care of yourself :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.