Mom and her friends forcing their beliefs on me

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ansdr, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ansdr

ansdr Well-Known Member

I'm really getting tired of my life. My mother is always trying to shove her religon down my throat, 24/7 everyday for the past 3 years. Plus she wants to move. I just don't know, I think I have a plan that can stop this, but it involves me getting myself into trouble. What's worst is all of her friends and family believe the same thing. It just gets to you after 3 years. She's always saying i'm upset with her deity. And then 2 of her friends already tried to guilt trip me about it. One was like, oh i'm going to have to talk to you. Another tried to pull a slick one and told me some story about how she had a non believer teacher in college who tried to "persecute" her because of her beliefs and how non believers are no good. And I am unable to say anything back. Now she's telling me she is going to visit her former pastor before we move. I used to be friends with that women's son. And now my mom is going to try to get them to guilt trip me also.

Today my mom was saying, one of her son's used to be mad at god like me. So I corrected her right away and said i'm not mad with anyone. And for now on i'm going to start doing that. It's going to be an all out war, if that's what it has to come to then fine. I respected her beliefs for 3 years guys. 3 years saying nothing in return for all of her insults. And i'm one of the best debaters I know, because every single day I train my mind to debate for fear of her and her friends trying to force their beliefs on me. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs, but obviously they have a problem with mine. I feel like i'm in high school and everyone is mad that I don't want to hang out with the cool kid.

2. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Hi andsr,you have to maintain your emotional and intellectual center,you are capable of great cerebral flexibility and have a gift for critical thinking,keep this in mind and I hope it help combat the constant nature of what you are having to put up with.

Sometimes when people recognise great potential they feel it their duty to steer thet potential in what they see as the right direction.
    It may be some time before they recognise that this is what you are already doing. :)

Sometimes those who are close to us and still searching for something cannot see that we have already found ourselves.
    A person who has not arrived at themself generally feels the need to work on others.

Stay strong. :)

3. Hegga83

Hegga83 Member

Hi

I´m not a believer, I am baptised thou. Sorry for my english i´m from Sweden. I belive that every person must find their path in life, I hate when people try to force things on u. If u find god thats very good for u but don´t force other people. This was a crappy remark sorry.

All the best / Fredrik

4. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Try to agree with them sometimes about things non-religion related. I've found that when I agree with people about non-religious things they're less likely to get on me about my faith or direction in life. It's easy to partly/mostly agree with most people.

5. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Well I don't know what it's like for other religious people, but christians feel it's impossible to not know about god so the only way they can explain someone who denies god or ignores god is by thinking that this person rejects or hates god. They just cannot comprehend someone not knowing about god since it's impossible to die without god giving you many chances to redeem yourself.

Help around the house. Generally try to agree or not say anything at all. If you do that, they're less likely to be judgmental.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  6. Hegga83

Hegga83 Member

Sorry by being a person questiong god, but what proof is it that he has existed? I am a sweden sorry for the spelling, if u are into god and stuff fine by my but forcing things on other feels like the medievel, the crusades and stuff.

7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Tell them you have found happiness without god. That you don't need him to feel good about yourself.

The problem with religious people is that they are usually EXTREMELY insecure. They come from poor backgrounds/financial problems, social problems etc etc. So they pile all that religion crap into their heads and try to forget all the 'depressing' things in life. When in fact, they're simply replacing one form of mental insanity with another.

8. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I'd classify myself as a believer in God. Whether I'm Christian or not is something I haven't quite worked out yet. But one thing I have learnt is that those who find God and feel they have an understanding or at least a spiritual peace with God, find those things in their own time.

If you don't believe in God, it is not for me as a believer to convince you. I look at it like this: Scriptures from all religions would have you believe 'we are all God's children'. If that is the case then how do these religions account for people in places where their religion differs? They are still God's children if I can put it that way. So God must love them equally. There are two things, faith and religion. Faith is a belief broadly shared by systems all across the world. Religion is a corruption of that by man. I am a Christian, in the broadest sense, but I'm bright enough to know that the Bible was written by man.

One final point. Mother Teresa was a Christian nun who did untold levels of good in Calcutta and other areas of India. She struggled with a crisis of faith through most of her life, but I hardly think that because she may or may not have believed, that God sent her to eternal damnation.

Just my two cents.

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I know how you feel having religeon forced on you.. My sister who I live with was a major bible thumper.. She was always dropping her religeon into conversations.. The thing that broke the camels back was I came home one day and found a bible on the nightstand next to my bed.. I was so bent I ended up in the psych ward..The therapist there brought my sister in and had me tell her what I thought and also that putting that bible next to my bed wasn't cool..I have my own beleifs.. I don't need any one elses..

10. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I'm a bit worried about you having a plan that will get you into trouble. Please reconsider that and try to think of an alternative.
    Are you able to live independently? Have you friends you could stay with?
    X

11. ansdr

ansdr Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think i'll be ok. I'm just still worried about whats going to happen when my mom goes to visit her old friend before we move. Oh well, i think i'm doing better now.

12. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

This is a difficult position to be in. You don't need to get into trouble to get out of a stress. State your position in simple terms. Simply tell them, "I resent that you are forcing your beliefs on me".

This simple statement honestly tells them your position without attacking them.

Gently stand your ground. Allow yourself this opportunity to develop strength in this area and you'll be better equipped to deal with the hard things that life deals us.

I hope it gets better soon. :hug: