Mom indicted in deadly MySpace hoax

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Aquariamethystea, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Ah, good. She definitely should have known better. :dry:

2. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Unbelievable!!!! :sad::dry:

3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

4. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

They should all be hanged.

5. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

6. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

7. Abby Rose

Abby Rose Well-Known Member

I am so glad to see that she was indicted; the only problem is that what she is charged with doesn’t carry nearly a long enough sentence that she deserves.

8. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

what the fuck is wrong with people?

9. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I've been contemplating that question most of my life, an I'm nearly at the point in which I started; People are cruel, people find other's pain funny, Some people think 'Hey, my life isn't perfect, I'll mess someone else's up so mine is better', which is disgusting that people are like this, granted NOT all are, but so many in this world anymore are cruel and cold hearted, it's very sad. So many people have ruined lives and permanently scarred people; mentally and physically. :dry:

It's so sad that they set this girl up to be hurt and vulnerable to push her buttons. It's sick, it's cruel. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

awful:sad:

11. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what an attorney has to say about this. The charges are actually at best only tangentially related to the girl's death, and all of them seem kind of shaky to me. As in the one part of the indictment seems to be little more than something about setting up a fake MySpace account. Yeah, like that never happens. Or posting somebody's picture without their permission. And like MySpace spends a subtantial amount of time and money making sure it never does.

The conspiracy stuff is the meat of the indictment. And even that looks a little weak, since they're not saying Lori Drew is the one who sent that last message about the world being a better place without Megan Meier. Well, who did say that, if Drew didn't? And why aren't they being charged? (I'm assuming it is Drew's minor daughter, but nobody is saying.) At best they've got Drew pretending to be something she's not, but they're not showing any actual threats or even real harassment, at least as I read this. It is also a little weird that at least in terms of the indictment you've got a conspiracy of one. Maybe that's legally possible, but it doesn't seem logically so.

I'm thinking a halfway competent defense attorney waives the right to a jury trial and then proceeds to make a mockery of the prosecution's case in front of a judge (assuming this is possible?). And Drew walks. Or, they come to some sort of plea bargain arrangement where Drew serves next to no time.

Dunno, though. Perhaps I'm being too cynical. I'm certainly no attorney, so perhaps there's a much higher likelihood of a successful prosecution than I think there is. Possibly due to the fact that Megan Meier was a minor and Lori Drew was not.

12. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

i watched the video and read the article and the only thing I had to say after that was: "WTF!? Is this real!"

The murderous-mom-bitch didn't apologize. 20 years isn't enough. Id rather gave her lifetime and open blog about her and posting the insults and everyday she had to read the whole blog and every word on it.

13. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

gmork your right that a smart defense attorney would rather have a bench trial than a regular (jury) trial. Its a very emotional case so it would be easier to convince a jury that she's morally and therefore legally responsible.

However, the "three counts of accessing protected computers without authorization to obtain information to inflict emotional distress" will be pretty easy to prove, since they won't need anyother co-conspirators and all the conversations will have been saved.

5-20 years is a long time . . . not a lifetime but face it her life as she knew it is over forever, if she is guilty.

14. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Harming a minor...........

Its not as if she just said Fuck You to her.

No she sabotaged her life, spread rumors, infiltrated her social circles and so on.....

This case will probably set a precedent of some sort. I dont know if thats a good thing.

But I would find her guilty if I was in the jury.

Cases such as these are going to be very subjective.

You cant really standardize the rules when it comes to something like this.

15. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

Gmork, I'm glad you posted!

I have been thinking about it that way too. I already have mixed feelings on what should happen to the mom, I'm just happy they did something. I don't really see her doing much time in relation to the death. I remember seeing this story on Dr.Phil(I think) as my mum called me in the room. We were all amazed at how cruel the mother could be- who does she think she is? -and we all had a smile when we saw she was idicted.

16. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

The sad truth is that there are people who are that malicious and cruel. What's worse is that this woman has kid(s) and she is sending such a negative message to her kids. She should have had more control over her emotions and instilled(sp) in her children that bullying isn't okay. Now instead her child is shown what the results are of bullying. A lost life. The sad thing is, looking at her picture she was a beautiful young girl who's life was cut short because some "adult" decided to play child. :dry:

17. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

i'm remember reading about this story, then watching the story on television and it made me sick!! the mother had no remorse and made that poor girl feel like shit!! The bitch that did this must have no life really because she has to make up a fake person and ruin someones life, this could happen to a lot more girls. I hope this lady goes to jail!!!!!!!

18. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

This is why people need to be careful about online relationships. It's easy enough to lie to a person you see every day (just look at the amount of marriages that end up in infidelity). Also, children should not have computers in their rooms, IMO because of this very thing. Parents need to do a better job protecting their children from this sort of thing. Parents, spy on your kids.

19. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

She is a disgusting person and I am glad they found something to charge her on.

But the logical side of me thinks it's a travesty that someone is going to prison for something they said on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.