Mom just tried to kill herself

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by CK07, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK07

CK07 New Member

About thirty minutes ago, me and my brother were having a fight (verbal) and I walked into the garage to find my mom trying to kill herself with car fumes. I opened the garage door and just stood there, lost of words. She said that next Monday when holiday break is over, and everyone's at school, she'll kill herself. I really think she's going to do it. She already tried a few weeks ago (her cat was the only thing that stopped her). I don't know what to do. Everything I say just gets bounced off... Any ideas about what I could do?

2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

You need to tell someone. Do you have another relative or a family friend you can talk to? Any chance you could speak to her doctor?

I don't know where you live... in the UK, you can call the Samaritans, here's the phone number: 08457 90 90 90 They will most likely be able to offer more advice for you. Or you can e-mail them (can take up to 24 hours for a reply, although in my cases I've had replies in a much shorter time, a few hours). Here's the site: The Samaritans

If you live outside the UK, have a look on this site: Befrienders

Good luck with everything, I think the main thing you need to do now is to tell someone outside of your household what is going on. Your mum sounds like she needs some professional support. :hug:

3. CK07

CK07 New Member

I'm going to tell my step-dad once he gets home and ask him if he can get her to a counselor. He's the only person close to her I can ask (she doesn't have any friends). She doesn't have a doctor either. I'm looking for stuff right now on the Befrienders site (I live in America, so Samaritans won't work).

4. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Ok, good luck with that. :) Let us know how things go if you can/want to. We're here if you have anymore problems. :hug:

5. srnityblu

srnityblu Well-Known Member

Hello, wow, this is some heavy stuff you have to deal with, how are you and your brother coping with this? Please allow yourself the opportunity to talk to someone about this.

Your mom is hurting and please do not think that her wanting to end her life has anything to do with you and the rest of your family. Your mom needs to find ways to cope, and perhaps finding a good doctor can help diagnose her symptoms and perscribe something that will help.

Talking this over with your step dad, is a very mature descision. I give you huge hugs my dear!

love your friend, shannon

6. Metallica*Melinda

Metallica*Melinda Well-Known Member

Hi Im sorry to hear that. My mom just got suicidal about two days ago... its really hard to deal with... I hope you and ur mom are okay. PM me if u ever need to talk.

7. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're going to talk to your step dad. I hope that goes well.

Something I wanted to ask you, though, even though it's not pleasant, is to consider calling the hospital and having her admitted. I don't think that they do involuntary admittance much anymore, but whether they do or not, it would be better if you, your brother, and your step dad sat down with your mother and talked her into going herself.

I wanted to mention this option because it sounds like your mother needs immediate medical help, and it can take at least a few weeks to find a psychiatrist and a therapist and to adjust to medication. I also think that you and your family should not try to keep an eye on her 24/7; doing this will likely create resentment and tension if it's even successful.

A hospital can keep her under surveillance and in a relatively safe environment. At most, she'll only be there a week or two (don't you love American insurance companies?), or until she is no longer immediately suicidal. Then many more options are open to her.

Like srnityblu said, though, this is not your fault. When I'm suicidal, I believe that killing myself would help my family out. I don't consider suicide because I want to punish someone. Your mother may believe she's doing the best thing for everyone, but you and your family can remind her that she's loved and needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.